All you need to know how to apply for a driving license in India. A driving license is a mandatory document that any driver has to possess if she or he wants to drive a vehicle on the roads of India under the Central Motor Vehicles Act 1989. Before a person can apply for a driving licence in India, he or she has to first apply for a learner’s permit. As soon as the learner’s permit is obtained, the person in question can drive a vehicle with an ‘L’ board hanging from it. After a person has completed 6 months driving a vehicle on the learner’s licence , he or she is eligible for a normal driving licence.
Table of Contents
- What is the Learner’s permit?
- Eligibility rules for obtaining a learner’s permit
- Documents required for obtaining a learner’s permit in India
- What is the permanent license?
- Eligibility rules to be followed to obtain a permanent driving license in India
- The application form
- Documents required for obtaining the permanent driving license
- Driving license test procedure in India
What is the Learner’s permit?
A learner’s permit is nothing but a temporary license that is issued to a person who does not have a driving license just yet but is now eligible to obtain one. After the candidate passes the driving test and gets certified by a legal driving institute, he or she can obtain the learner’s permit. The ‘L’ sign is hanged on the vehicle to indicate all the other drivers on the road that the driver in the vehicle in question has just obtained his or her driving license and is still a learner and not an expert.
Eligibility rules for obtaining a learner’s permit
For a person to be eligible to apply for a learner’s permit:
- He or she should be a citizen of India.
- He or she should be at least 16 years of age.
Documents required for obtaining a learner’s permit in India
The documents required for obtaining a learner’s permit from a valid driving institute are:
- Learner’s license form
- 2 recent passport size photographs
- Self-attested copy of proof of residence, age, educational qualifications
- Valid form for transport vehicle license
- Required fee
Along with submitting the required documents, the candidate has to also pass tests such as colour blindness, movement of limbs, knowledge of traffic rules, traffic signs and safety measures. After the candidate clears the tests, the license is issued to the candidate on the same day.
What is the permanent license?
The permanent driving license is a document that makes a person eligible to drive a vehicle provided that it is registered in the state with due procedure across the country without the use of the ‘L’ sign. The permanent driving license makes a person legally eligible to drive a vehicle.
Eligibility rules to be followed to obtain a permanent driving license in India
Some of the eligibility rules to be followed by the applicant to obtain a permanent driving license are:
- The applicant should be at least 18 years of age on the day he or she is applying for a permanent driving license.
- The applicant must submit the application required to obtain a permanent driving license within 180 days of getting the learner’s permit issued to the applicant.
- The candidate has to also pass tests such as colour blindness, movement of limbs, knowledge of traffic rules, traffic signs and safety measures.
The application form
- To obtain the driving license, the applicant has to fill out an application form.
- The application form can be downloaded online by visiting the website https://parivahan.gov.in/sarathiservice9/sarathiHomePublic.do .
- Once the candidate applies for the permanent DL via the online mode, he or she has to then appear for the mandatory tests that follow.
Documents required for obtaining the permanent driving license
The documents required for obtaining a permanent driving license are as follows:
- The application form
- 6 passport size photographs
- Age proof with attested passport copy/birth certificate/employer’s document/educational qualifications
- Residence proof along with attested copy of Voter ID/Aadhaar/Passport/LIC policy valid at least up to 6 months
Driving license test procedure in India
- The applicant can apply for a permanent driving license after 30 days from the date on which the learner’s permit is issued.
- All the documents that are required to be submitted online or offline (including driving license test slot booking slip if you have booked the slot online) have to be provided in addition to the fees that have to be paid for appearing for the test. The receipt for the payment made is to present to the responsible authority to take the test.
- It goes without saying that the applicant has to be present in person for the Driving license test at least an hour before the allotted time. The test has to be taken in presence of the Motor Vehicle Inspector (MVI) at the designated track.
- Different states have varying tracks and procedures for the test. Generally, for two-wheelers, as the applicant, you will be asked to drive a two-wheeler in a path designed in shape of number 8. Also, the Motor Vehicle Inspector will check if you are using indicators and relevant hand signals while driving. You will have to trace the shape of number 8 in your vehicle without your legs touching the ground.
- For a four-wheeler driving license, the Motor Vehicle Inspector will ask you to ride the car in a track and will note your skills. You must show proper hand signals, use the indicator and apply brakes wherever necessary. Also, shift the gears smoothly and use the side & rear view mirrors while driving.