This is the most trending question from people who want a storage unit for them. Finding the storage unit according to your need and desired stuff is really a hectic and confusing work to perform.
You never know the storage unit safety measures; it’s like finding a trustworthy landlord you should be very familiar about the owner of the storage unit. Doing some research and spending some time on the internet can make you clear out the confusing things.
A self-storage unit must be available in various sizes that will give you a wide area to choose among them. You must know what you want in that particular unit. After clearing the facts what you want to store then choose unit according to it.
Table of Contents
Types of storage you might require
There are plenty of types of storage units on-site, off-site, container storage unit, warehouse unit, self-storage, public storage and lot more. You might have an idea about the unit in reference to the size and other features. But keeping in mind the things you want to store must fit in your unit as well.
You might take a look at your belongings before putting in the storage unit. There must be a proper space in it. It should provide a proper space for your belongings and for you as well. You must measure your things from toe to tail before putting them into the storage unit.
For example, if you want to keep some documents or paperwork or similar things related to it then you must go for container type or small unit. But if you want to keep your business tools and heavy items then you must go for warehouse storage units.
If you have material that is temperature sensitive then you must rent a climatic control unit that comes under the indoor category. While outdoor storage unit is just opposite to indoor unit. You must know more about your unit that it should support security, monitoring, and instant power supply after a power cut.
Do your research
Focus on what you want. You must ensure the things on paper. Write down the important things that you want to keep in your unit. You must know how many boxes will be after packaging. Here are a few points that you must add in your checklist.
- Sticking with one location: Don’t stick to one location this happens when you carry your sentiments along with the unit. Do not do that, a unit today that is in good condition that doesn’t mean that it will be a good condition for always.
Cast the network and investigate the other available options. Do not bother of 5-10 min ride rather than keeping your belongings in a nicer place.
- Reviews of that place: Storage facility can be searched from Google. There is a reviews column that shows people interest in that facility. Go for all types of reviews then decide on your own. Also, check the response of the facility team to reviewers.
- Comparing office and gate hours: Only a few of units show their office and gate hours, while others just leave their section as blank. The gate hours are the time period in which you can visit your unit. The office hours are opposite to it. Office hours are the working hours of office their duration is less as compared to the gate.
Make sure what timings suits you then choose a unit. There are other facilities that provide 24*7 accesses but might cost you a little more.
Types of Storage Units according to size
There are many types of unit people call them with different names in many places, but the common of all thing is structural. They all share the same structure and architecture. Here is the list of few storage units that you must know before visiting according to size
- Small Storage Units: They are basically 5’x5’ Units that are ideal for small items like boxes, children stuff, small furniture, business documents, personal items, clothes, and tools.
The other size is 5’x10’ units that are basically used for small furniture items like sofa, chairs, box, carpets, mattress, records, and other small items.
- Medium Storage Units: Medium storage unit also comes in two sections one is 7.5’x10’ unit and other is 10’x10’. 7.5’x10’ unit can store small things like sofas, furniture, chairs, tables, drawer, mattress, and other business records.
Where 10’x10’ can hold items of a one bedroom apartment with all types of appliances and boxed items.
- Large Size Storage Units: Here a large storage unit is divided into three sections 10’x15’, 10’x20’, and 10’x30’. 10’x15’ this unit is built in such a way that it can hold up to two bedroom apartments or small home gathering along with supplies and appliances.
10’x20’ unit can hold up to three bedroom material or home. These are purposely used for commercial inventory purposes.
10’x30’ unit can store up to five bedroom material including all appliances and furniture and other supplies.
These were the three types of storage unit that you must check according to your need and must ensure the capacity before going to rent it. If you want that your storage unit should not be far from then Google it “storage units near me” the best result will be displayed on the first page.
Step by step guidance from beginning to last
Step 1: Gathering or assembling items for the storage. Your items should be in one place in packaged condition before you shifting it into a storage unit.
Step 2: Proper packaging using tape. You should make sure that the tape you are applying on your stuff is easily removable.
Step 3: Moving every box in a taping zone. If you are new to a taping of boxes then you might check how video do from internet.
Step 4: Ensuring the height of your items. Make sure that your item height should not exceed from the unit’s height.
Step 5: Shifting of material. You must hire a packaging company for this task.
These were the few things that should be kept in mind before while choosing a unit for you.