This zoologist took her love for the animal kingdom to another level when she planned to raise baby chimps in her apartment. But what is worth giving her applaud is, the lady has been doing so since 1983. She has raised about 10 baby chimps in her Havana apartment in 34 years. Marta is at home for 24 hours because of these chimps. She gets up at 5 am and watches them till 10 pm. Even Marta’s neighbors adore the chimps. They say that chimps don’t bother anyone and they all like them.
She most of the time raises the chimps herself because their mothers are too young and they don’t know how to take care of the babies.
- Marta Llanes is a 62 years old zoologist, she’s been raising Ada and Anuma since last year in her Havana apartment.
- In most of the zoos in other countries, there are special teams of facilities to raise the baby animals, in Cuba Marta takes up to this job. Marta is working in the zoo for the past 34 years now.
- They chew her cables, ruin her furniture and computer but every time she forgives them. Since, they are cute, young, and love Marta.
- She takes care of them as any mother would do. She feeds them, clean them even dresses them.
- It isn’t an easy job to take care of the apes of continuous 17 hours a day, till they go back to the zoo.
- Marta brings them home to raise them because their mothers in the zoo are young and don’t know to take care of the baby chimps.
- She says “I try to mother chimpanzee. If they say ‘hu’, I say ‘hu’. If they want me to drop to the floor, I drop to the floor. The only thing I can’t do is swing. I used to do it, but I can’t anymore, but they have to be taught to swing. They have to be taught everything.”
- Ada, the female is 13 months old, and the male chimp Anuma is 15 months old. Marta makes them wear diapers. And the entire apartment looks as if there are infants in the house. Toys are scattered here and there on the floor, no sharp object can be found.