Gmail is the web-based email application used by people these days. The reason for its popularity is because of its features. But there are times when people want to back up their data. This could be done in various ways. One of the ways is conversion into MBOX.
MBOX is a file extension which is used by various email clients like Google, Thunderbird, Entourage etc. By conversion into MBOX, all the data of Google is saved properly. The conversion to MBOX could be done with Google Takeout method. It is a service provided By Google for retrieving data and conversion into MBOX.
Table of Contents
Let us understand with the help of user query
“Hello! I have been using Gmail for a very long time. But recently I have decided to convert my data into MBOX in order to create a backup of my data. The problem is how to convert into MBOX which I don’t know. Could someone tell me how to export Gmail emails to MBOX? This will be a great help. Thanks in advance.”
Manual Method: Via using Google Takeout Services
The manual method with which Gmail can be exported to MBOX is with the help of Google Takeout. The steps are as follow:
- To begin with Open the Browser after that sign into Gmail account.
- In the New Tab Open Google Takeout, a page signifying “Download your Data” will appear.
- Afterward in the “Select Data” to include section, mail option to be selected and click on Next.
- In the next step file type to be chosen, the file format to be selected for backup emails like between ZIP or TGZ.
- In the delivery method option, according to one’s choice following have to be selected like send download via email, Add to Drive, Add to Dropbox, Add to One Drive.
- After the option is selected, click on Create Archive button.
- A new page will open up and status of the backup process can be seen.
- On the same page, two option will be shown i.e. Create another archive and manage archive. Manage archive button to be selected by clicking on it.
- Lastly, download button to be clicked, to export Gmail emails to MBOX file format.
Limitation of Google Takeout Service
The above-discussed method helps to export Gmail emails to MBOX file format. But there is plenty of limitation Of Google Takeout services. Some of them are:
- It takes a lot of time to download files such that the user has to face Google Takeout failed issue.
- There are no resume or pause option provided by services if it is interrupted the user has to download entire file again.
- Due to large storage file, the user faces issues like Google Takeout archive incomplete.
- It has to be converted to another file format so that it is accessed on other email clients.
Alternate Method to Export Gmail Emails to MBOX File Format
An alternate method to export Gmail emails to MBOX is through Gmail data Backup Tool. The working of Gmail Backup tool is by following way:
- To begin with, the user has to go to Start and click on all Program followed by the launching of Gmail Backup.
- The credential for Gmail account to be provided once the software is launched
- Then click on Login.
- To redirect to Gmail Login Page the software will show a prompt.
- The credential for Gmail account to be provided for which backup is to be taken.
- Afterward, Click on Allow button so that the application has access Gmail account.
- Lastly, file format has to be chosen for which backup to be created like PST, EML, MSG, and MBOX
In case of MBOX conversion
- Button to be chosen to correspond to MBOX text.
- Browse button to be clicked to browse for the final destination of an Export process.
- After navigation and selection of destination, click on OK.
- Corresponding to the browse button, the selected file will be displayed.
- The user can apply a filter by clicking on the Apply filter button.
- Custom filter to be provided as per which back up to be created like select folders, email filters.
- Afterward, Click on the Start button.
- The summary of the whole process will be displayed on the Window.
- The process will be started by the software.
- At the destination location, the user can view the converted files.
There are times when people need to export their data to MBOX in order to create a backup of their data. In the above article, it is clearly stated as to how to export Gmail emails to MBOX. There are two methods mentioned one is Google Takeout which is the manual one and other is with the help of a third-party tool which is Gmail Backup tool. It is up to the user to decide which tool to go for.