A pallet rack is a storage device for keeping materials on pallets. All types of pallet racking help in the storage of palletized materials in the horizontal rows with different levels. The most essential part of a pallet rack is the forklift trucks which help in attaching the loaded pallets to the racks. Pallet racks are essential components of warehouses, manufacturing industries, retail, and other storage units.
Table of Contents
Pallet racking system
The most common type of warehouse racking is the Selective Pallet Racking which has the lowest pallet storage capacity. There are two types of pallet racking system: the roll formed or clip-in configuration and the structural or bolt-together configuration.
- Roll formed selective rack is made in a “teardrop” style. The shelves are adjusted to different heights to accommodate various load sizes. You can quickly move the clips on teardrop configuration as pallets are rested on the horizontal load beams that are held in place by mounting clips.
- There is a similar pallet formed system like roll formed pallet rack which is the Structural pallet rack system. It has much greater weight-bearing capacity without horizontal load beams attached to the uprights with bolts.
The most common applications of selective pallet rack systems are big-box distribution application, cold storage applications, wholesale stores, retail stores etc.
Importance of pallet racks
- Pallet racks enhance the warehouse operations by allowing better use of the available space.
- They can store goods on high shelves without any danger thus allowing effective use of the vertical space
- They also help in the loss of goods as they arrange everything neatly and systematically.
- Using pallet racks can reduce the misuse of time in looking for goods in the area
Drawbacks of pallet racking
The only demerit of pallet racking is they are quite expensive to buy as a result of which many warehouses purchase used pallet racks.
Pallet Racking for Sale
Since buying old pallet racks are in vogue, many warehouses have used pallet racking for sale.
Let us discuss some scenarios where a warehouse goes for used pallet racking for sale:
- Sometimes warehouses have extra pallet racks or the space inside the warehouse is less. In such circumstances, they keep their used pallet racking for sale.
- When a particular warehouse is about to be closed they keep their used pallet racking for sale.
- Warehouses also sell their used pallet racks when they are no longer in good condition and require a lump sum for maintenance or repair.
But, it is not advisable to purchase pallet racks directly from warehouses as it may lead to buying an inferior quality of pallet rack which has been used for many years or has been purchased at a costlier price.
What type of used pallet racks are safe to buy?
When a warehouse is considering used pallet racking for sale, you should ponder the material by which they are made up of. If they are made up of steel, it is a good idea to buy them because steel pallets last for long. But, you should see to the fact that the steel pallets have not been exposed to moisture much, else they will show signs of rust.
Disadvantages of rusted pallet racks
- Rust minimizes the efficiency and strength of the pallet racks.
- Rust spreads very quickly, so while considering pallet racking for sale, the dealer should make sure that he is not providing a rack which has an even a small rusted portion.
- Rusted pallet racks are not only ugly but are also prone to breakage and damage very quickly.
Even though used pallet rackscuts on the cost, it is very important to see to that you purchase the perfect ones so that it does not impact the performance of your work.