FSSAI stands for the Food Safety and Standards Authority of India that secures the laws relating to food and to establish science-based standards for food. Under the Food Safety and Standards Act 2006, FSSAI control food manufacture, storage, distribution, sale, and import, to know that availability of food consumption and other issues related to food. For implication and enforcement of FSSAI, Food Safety and Standard Authority of India and State Food Authorities are jointly responsible. These are responsible for the registration and licensing of the food business operator (FBO) in India and makes the rules and regulation for running the food business in India.
Table of Contents
Why do you should register under the FSSAI
To begin with, every individual who has any type of food business such as food manufacturing, processing, storage distribution and sale of food products must necessarily obtain FSSAI registration on License. FSSAI Registration and FSSAI License are two different terms depending on the size and nature of the business, FBO should obtain the necessary registration or license. It is printed on all the food packages which are 14- digits registration or license number of FBO. The FSSAI registration procedure is aimed to create aids to the promoters of food innovations, remove multiple regulations or receiving approvals. It increases trade, without compromising the safety concerns of the people (consumers). It also increases the consumer’s confidence in the food item, in terms of food safety. ISO registration for the quality of food is also compulsory for the food business.
How to register under FSSAI
In the modern digital era of the smart world, you can get do food license and registration on mobile via this FSSAI App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fssai ). By this FSSAI Aap: get done Food License on mobile easily without going anywhere. Or FBO can apply for the registration and license through an online application system. FSSAI registration/ license mainly of 3 types. These types depending on the business volume and premises. Based upon the turnover, location, installed capacity, premises are eligible for the license. Central or state license based on the basis of the annual income of the FBO.
FSSAI Registration Annual Income (in Rs)
- Basic Registration Up to 12 lakhs
- State License 12-20 crores
- Central License Above 20 crores
For the small- scale industries FBO will get obtain the FSSAI registration according to their turnover and turnover more than 12 crores or according to their income, FBO will get central or state license.
Documents required for obtaining the FSSAI registration:-
- Form –B completed and signed by the owners.
- Identity proof (i.e. Voter card or Aadhar card)
- Address proof
- Proof of possession of premises ( Rental Agreement )
- Certificate of Incorporation / Article of Association / Partnership deed
- List of food products to be dealt with.
- Plan of food safety management system.
The procedure for obtaining FSSAI registration:-
- For FSSAI registration submitting form-a as an application to food and safety department.
- The food and safety department within 7 days this application can be accepted or may be rejected due to some less information provided by the applicant and the fact has to be intimated to the applicant in writing.
- In the case of accepting the application, the department will grant a registration certificate with the registration number to the applicant and the photo of the applicant.
- During business hours FBO should prominently display the certificate of registration at the place of business.
FSSAI license: – FSSAI license can be classified into two categories between State FSSAI and Central FSSAI license. These are based on the size of the business whether it is a medium scale or large scale business.
Documents required for the Central or State License:-
- Form B duly signed and completed by owners.
- Blueprint or layout of the area location.
- Contact list and Identity Cards and a list of director/ partners/ proprietor with the address.
- List of food category to be manufactured.
- List of equipment and machinery used in business and installed capacity.
- Authority letter from manufacturing nominated a responsible person name and address.
- Analysis of water report from a recognized public health laboratory.
- Source and list of raw material used.
- Recall plan if applicable.
- Ministry of commerce’s certificate for 100% EOU.
- NOC / PA documents issued.
- IE code document issued by DGFT.
- IX- form
- Ministry of Tourism’s certificate
- Proof of possession of premises ( Rental agreement )
- NOC and copy of the license from the manufacturer
- Plan and certificate of food safety management system
- NOC of the Municipality or local body.
- Proof of turnover and transportation
- Form for declaration.
The process of FSSAI registration :-
- Fill the form B for the application. The applicant can apply for a new business license or renewing an existing one has. Self-attested declaration in the specified format should be attached with it.
- After receiving the application, the authorities will investigate the application and carry out food inspection.
- If the food inspector gets satisfied with your business related to food. He will forward the report and the FSSAI license is issued by the authority. This make takes 60 days.
If it takes more than 60 days, the owner can start a business without a license and without waiting for any further communication.
FSSAI APP: – FBO can register FSSAI registration or license through the FSSAI APP https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.fssai. In this app how to apply for FSSAI registration, about food license, food safety complaints etc. are included. It is an easy and affordable way to get FSSAI registration and license.
Food, being an absolute necessity, should always be safe and secure for consumption. Any compromise with the quality of food can lead to dangerous consequences. By the way of this article, we try to understand you how to registered FSSAI license/ registration. It will help you registered your business for license and registration in the future. Food safety and security are the major concern in every place in the world.