Most of the cities all over the world favor bike commuting more than any other transportation system especially for short-distance travel. You may rent a bike on a daily basis or even have a monthly arrangement to commute from your home to office and back. Bike rentals happen to be the most economical and convenient means of transportation in this modern world. When you ride a bike, you do not have to worry about parking and the maintenance of it. You will not have to worry about theft or any other liability as well because these bikes are insured if you hire it from a reputable company.
There will be no need to stand in long queues in front of the gas station and no increase in carbon footprints. Riding a bike, you contribute to the environment which is the primary concern of governments all over the world. Need for speed or are you worried about being late to office? Riding these bikes, you can move fast sometimes as fast as a car even.
Table of Contents
In short, it is the most sensible and responsible way to commute.
Specific Beneficial Factors
Apart from environmental concern, bikes are the most popular means of transport for other specific beneficial reasons.
- Irrespective of the fact that you are a local or a visitor, you can get around quickly riding these bikes.
- Sun, wind or rain you can bike anytime provided you have the proper gear to protect yourself from such conditions.
- There are specific biking routes designed which can take you to different lanes and bye-lanes and are free from heavy traffic or no entry restrictions.
- You can maneuver these bikes through small lanes that are not suitable for cars and can reach your destination fast.
- It is a great way to explore a new place if you are interested in sightseeing.
- Most reputable and reliable bike rentals companies will also provide you with route and tour suggestions.
Therefore, check out reputed sites to find specific routes that are not the “standard tourist routes.”
Easy And Simple Process
Hiring a bike to ride through the city is not as difficult as hiring a car rental for that matter. If you are ready to rent a bike is pretty easy. Look for reliable stores at prominent locations and follow the simple process:
- Sign up for a monthly or even a yearly subscription or make a onetime reservation according to your need.
- Log in to the official website or use alternative apps to choose the time and day of your ride to make a reservation.
- Select pickup stations listed on the website or from the shop directly and ride it to your destination.
- When you are done, return the bike at the selected pickup or delivery location.
Though the most common type of rental is for a day, there are a few shops that may rent bikes for a couple of hours as well.
Terms And Conditions
Most of the bike rental companies will follow the basic rules and regulations for renting bikes, but it is wise to check about it prior to booking it. Assuming that you hire a reliable company to rent a bike, visit their website to check the rates, the packages and terms and conditions. Also check the facilities and accessories that they provide along with the bikes such as a basket, chain lock, and others. You may need to put down a deposit for the bike you want to hire.
Apart from that you may also purchase insurance though it is not mandatory but recommended to protect you from theft and cover the cost of the bike in case it is stolen. There are also a few other bike rental shops that will also provide bike repair service as well as provide bike parking garage. Therefore, knowledge about the shop well so that you get what you want.
Process To Follow For Stolen Bikes
You must also be ready for unfortunate incidents such as bike theft. For a stolen bike the shop may want you to follow the specific process as well such as filing a police report. You must also return the key to the lock. This will prove that you had locked up the bike. Not having insurance or not being able to return the keys means that you will have to pay for the stolen bike. Be informed that the rate of bike thefts is high all over and therefore it is prudent to pay a bit more for the bike for insurance and be careful to lock it up every time you leave it at the parking spots.
Care And Concern
It is also needed to be careful when you ride a bike because there may be a different set of rule for riding a bike in different cities. Know about the bike safety rules and traffic laws of the specific state you are in to avoid accidents and injuries or any legal obligations. Though cars and another traffic lookout for bikes, you must be careful about your safety. Try not to avoid bike paths but if you have to then take care of the sidewalks and intersections of the roads.
Moreover, cyclists usually do not wear helmets, though a few bike rental companies insist and even provide helmets with their bikes. Be sure that you signal your turns, adhere to the traffic rules and signals to reduce the risk of accidents. If it is a pedestrian area, make sure you get off your bike and walk through it.
In a new area, you must confirm your route with the locals or look out for it on the map-making sure that you get off and out of the bike and traffic before burying your face in the route map. Make sure that you do not get a ticket from the police not knowing where you are riding. If there are tram tracks on the road, make sure that you check out both ways before crossing the tracks.