When Microsoft Outlook email application is used while connected to Exchange server all the mailbox data items such as emails, contacts, calendar, tasks are stored locally in the file Called OST ( Offline storage table). This OST file format is actually the replica of the exchange mailbox. The ability to work offline is useful in some environment with limited or unreliable internet connectivity.
But sometimes the user has to face The file username.ost is in use and cannot be accessed issue. This shows that the OST file which You are trying to open is used by another program or application. Let us understand the situation with the help of users query.
“Hello everyone! Last night when I was using Microsoft Outlook application. I got an error like C:\users\user\app data\local\microsoft\outook\outlook.ost is in use and cannot be accessed” Can anyone tell why I am getting this OST is in use and cannot be accessed error and how to fix this issue. Thanks in Advance!”
Are you also Microsoft Outlook user? If you are looking for a solution of the above problem then I will suggest you read this article. In this article, I will discuss the reasons behind Outlook OST cannot be accessed issue. We will discuss the manual and automated solution to resolve this issue. Keep reading here…
Table of Contents
- Why The User Has to Face The File Username.ost Is In Use and Cannot Be Accessed Error
- Manual Method to Fix Default Outlook Profile.ost is in Use and Cannot Be Accessed Issue
- Expert Solution to Fix The file Username.ost Is In Use and Cannot Be Accessed Error
Why The User Has to Face The File Username.ost Is In Use and Cannot Be Accessed Error
Here are the several reasons of this Outlook OST cannot be accessed issue.
- When multiple users tried to access the same OST file then the user has to face this issue.
- Because of Slow internet connection.
- In case of Runtime conflict of other applications with the Microsoft Outlook.
- Improper OST file synchronization with the Exchange server mailboxes.
Manual Method to Fix Default Outlook Profile.ost is in Use and Cannot Be Accessed Issue
Method 1: By Killing All the related Process.
- The user has to press CTRL + ALT+DEL and then select Task Manager.
- Then choose the “Processes” Tab.
- Search for anything named like “Communicator”, “Lynx”, ”ucmapi” or Outlook. In case if the user finds any items related to this then choose the “End Task” button.
Method 2: Disable Cached Exchange Mode
Here is a second method to fix OST is in use and cannot be accessed error. In this method, the user has to disable the cache exchange mode. Follow the steps below.
- Close Microsoft Outlook.
- Now the user has to open “Control Panel” and then select “Mail”.
- Now the user has to select “Email account” and then choose “Email Tab”.
- Now select the email id and then the user has to click on “Change”
- After that, the user has to uncheck the “Use cache Exchange Mode”
- then Choose>>Next>>Finish.
Expert Solution to Fix The file Username.ost Is In Use and Cannot Be Accessed Error
The user can also prefer this best OST to PST software to solve this issue. This software helps the user to convert the OST file to PST file format easily. And that PST file can be imported easily in all editions of Microsoft Outlook. This utility gives Quick and advanced scan feature which helps the user to recover the data from corruption issues. Moreover, this software comes with easy to use graphical user interface so that everyone can easily use this software with ease.
Follow the Steps to Convert the OST file to PST file format–
- Download and install the software.
- Now click on Add file button.
- Browse the location of the OST file.
- Now click on Export button to convert the OST file to PST file format.
- After Browse the destination location to Save the data.
- After that click on the Export button to start the export process.
Follow The Certain Steps to Import the PST file In Microsoft Outlook
- Open Microsoft Outlook Application.
- Now click on File and then choose Open and Export.
- Then choose Import/ Export.
- Select Import from another program or file.
- Choose Outlook data file (.pst).
- Browse the PST file and click on Next.
- Choose Import items to current folder option and click on Finish.
In this article, we have discussed the issue faced by many users the file username.ost is in use and cannot be accessed. We have given the reason why the user has to face this issue. And also we have given the manual and automated solution to solve OST is in use and cannot be accessed error. If manual techniques won’t work then the user can prefer this best OST file to PST converter software.