The most common topic for Microsoft Outlook users is how to convert Exchange OST to PST. OST and PST are both data files but are very different from each other. PST stands for Personal storage table while OST is for Offline storage table. To know proper ways to successfully perform the conversion process, follow the article till the end.
Also, we have stated some cases in which it is important to export orphaned OST file to PST. This post explains the process using both manuals as well as automated solution i.e. OST to PST Converter Outlook 2016.
Table of Contents
- How are OST and PST different?
- Cases in which Exchange OST to PST Conversion is Important
- Manual Methods to Transfer Orphaned OST File to PST
- Professional Ways to Convert Exchange OST to PST
- Final Words
How are OST and PST different?
First thing first, to know how to convert Exchange OST to PST files a user must know what is OST and PST file and their difference. If a user is using Outlook Email client without Exchange Server, then is using PST file for the accounts that include POP3, IMAP, and other web-based email accounts. The user’s all mailbox content is stored in its local system in a PST file.
Also, user’s mailbox item is delivered on the mail server if you are connected to the Microsoft Exchange Server. Whenever Exchange Server is connected with Microsoft Outlook, an OST file is created on your local system, to perfectly work with your mailbox content and messages. OST file is nothing but a file which contains copies of your original mailbox data stored on the mail server.
Cases in which Exchange OST to PST Conversion is Important
Data migration is very important for a user if he is moving from one place to another. In that case, you have to export orphaned OST file to PST file format because OST files are files that can be only accessed by the system on which they were originally created. If they are not on their original system then in order to access those OST files you just have to convert them to PST file.
Change in Organization
A user’s Outlook profile is connected to an Exchange Server where all of its emails and messages are stored. When he leaves that organization his connection to that Exchange Server also disconnects and he is no longer part of the Exchange Server. Now all a user left with is an OST file which he can’t use online.
Unexpected Deletion of Mailboxes
Many times it happens that a user by mistake deletes his mailboxes on Exchange Server. Those messages can be retrieved by moving Exchange OST to PST format because OST files contain all the mailboxes folder.
Corruption in OST Files
Sometimes corrupted OST file can be a reason for conversion. The best way to fix a corrupted OST file is to use scanpst.exe utility which is provided by Microsoft itself. This tool help to fix minor corruption but not major corruption.
Manual Methods to Transfer Orphaned OST File to PST
These manual methods don’t involve any type of third-party software. But, there are some limitations which are associated with these methods. Moreover, the users can also lose their crucial data if an error occurs during the process.
First Method – Import and Export Method
Steps to migrate Exchange OST to PST are mentioned below:
- First of all, open your Microsoft Outlook.
- Go to File >> Import and Export.
- Now an import and export wizard will open, click on Export File and click Next.
- After that, select Outlook data file(.pst) and click Next.
- Now select the mailbox folder from which you want to export data.
- Now Browse the folder in which you want to save the data as PST file.
Second Method – Drag and Drop Method
Users can also transfer orphaned OST file to PST file using the drag and drop method as explained below:
- First of all, open your Microsoft Outlook.
- Now create a new PST file in your Outlook profile.
- After that select and drag all the mailbox folder that you want to transfer to this PST folder.
Third Method – Archive Method
- To begin, launch your Microsoft Outlook.
- Now, click on File >> Archive.
- After that choose a file to archive and Browse the location to save the archived file.
- Now click Finish.
Professional Ways to Convert Exchange OST to PST
Above mentioned manual techniques can help you to open OST file in Outlook 2016, 2013, 2010, 2007. But, they have some limitations such as the system is required on which OST file is created, you should be connected to the Exchange Server, etc.
Experts suggest avoiding all these limitations user should use a third-party tool to export orphaned OST File to PST file format. This tool overcomes all the limitations of the above-mentioned methods. Key features of this tools are:
- Convert data from OST files.
- Batch conversion of OST to PST files EML and other file formats.
- Recover, backup and extract all data from offline OST files.
- Allows recovering deleted data restoration.
These are all the best techniques to convert Exchange OST to PST. Still if in some cases the above-mentioned technique does not work then you can use SysTools OST to PST Converter to transfer orphaned OST file to PST format effectively and efficiently with any data loss.