Have you ever thought about the circular runway? It can happen as per the world’s aviation experts and they told about the feasibility of this project. As an old saying goes, ‘a coin has its two sides’ this project, too, has its own benefits and risks.
So let’s have a look at both the merits and demerits of new futuristic circular runways.
- According to the experts, we can able to manage about four times of the present traffic of aircraft if we use the circular runways.
- The best purpose these circular runways serve is that they are going to occupy way lesser space than the current runways.
- Planes can take a number of rounds if they need a longer runway.
- Pilots can choose an appropriate spot on the loop without concerning about the direction of the wind.
- One of the major risks is that of noise pollution. The level of noise while the plane takes off or lands may rise from all direction. It might be an issue with the residents in the neighborhood.
- The circular runways lead to multiple routes for the flights to land or take off. This is problematic as every flight will have to be monitored in order to avoid any accidents. Even as a slight mistake can cause a great mishap.
- Since pilots need to fix the aiming point before they land the plane, it is going to be difficult now for them to identify such spot on the circular runway.
- There is going to be a need for more navigation aids.
Centrifugal force is a major aspect of risks. And in order to counter this, airplanes may have to be redesigned with more powerful engines, more speed, lesser weight, larger wings etc.