Money-saving is something that we all focus on, especially in recent years. Saving money has got even easier with a range of different technologies that can help us to save more! Reading through this guide you will find five ways that technology can save you money in 2021!
Table of Contents
To start with, you will want to look at getting a smart thermostat. Smart thermostats have been shown to result in some great savings on your energy bills. Smart thermostats work similarly to a normal thermostat however they have some great added features:
- Energy savings: Smart thermostats have a great capability to save you energy. This is down to these thermostats trying to keep your temperature as low as it can be. With your temperature being as low as it can be your heating will not be running and wasting energy and money.
- Control: The greatest feature of smart thermostats is the companion app that comes along with them. This companion app allows you to control your thermostat from your smartphone or computer. This way you will always be in control of your home’s heating.
- Schedules: With this companion app, you can set up schedules for your thermostat. This way you can make sure that you are leaving the heating off while you are at work and coming home to a warm home.
- Learning: Smart thermostats can also learn about your behaviour. Meaning that if you do not want to set up a schedule your thermostat will work out when you turn on and off your heating and create this schedule for you. However, it is always better to create your own if you can.
- Energy reports: Your thermostat can also provide you with energy reports every few weeks or months. This way you can keep track of how much energy you are using and where the peaks are in your energy usage. This way, you can be to see where you need to cut down and save money.
- When it comes to smart thermostat installation it is something you will be doing yourself. When choosing your smart thermostat, it does not matter about the boiler type (system, conventional or combi boiler) but about the boiler brand. Not all smart thermostats are compatible with all boiler brands so make sure you check the compatibility with your boiler before purchasing.
Smart plugs are a great addition to a home that is looking to save money. Smart plugs allow you to control a plug socket via an app on your smartphone. Putting smart plugs on devices such as your TV or computers are highly recommended. These devices can often use a lot of electricity when left on standby. However, if you can use them on all outlets this is recommended. This way you will be saving the most energy you can.
If you have a home assistant, you can even set up a schedule for these smart plugs! That way you will not have to worry about remembering to turn your smart plugs on or off. However, not all smart plugs will have this feature so check that the plugs both have the feature and are compatible with your home assistant.
Use smart lightbulbs
Smart lightbulbs have some great features which allow you to save money
- LED bulbs: All smart lights are LED bulbs. Meaning that they are a lot more energy efficient than incandescent or CFL bulbs. This is due to LEDs producing the same number of lumens as other bulbs but at a lower wattage.
- Companion app: Just like most smart devices, smart lightbulbs have a companion app that comes with them. On this app, you can control your homes lighting from your phone.
- Pair with a home assistant: Just like with your smart plugs, you can connect some smart lightbulbs with your home assistant. This way you can set up schedules for your lighting.
- Different light modes: Smart lights offer different light modes. Meaning that they can be useful at any time of the day.
Use browser extensions
If you do a lot of shopping online, then there are a range of browser extensions out there. These browser extensions will save you money by searching the internet for discount codes for the current site you are shopping on. This is a great and often free way to get a little bit extra off each time that you shop.
Upgrade some of your appliances
Finally, upgrading your appliances. You will want to mainly look at upgrading white goods, as these are the appliances that are running often and using the most energy. Replacing your appliances such as washing machines and fridges for a more modern energy-efficient model will save you a lot of money.
This goes especially for your heating systems as well, as they are considered the “most profitable” upgrades. For you to save money, you have to get multiple quotes and compare the new boiler cost from each provider. Having a new boiler might be a little pricey, but its efficiency will save you more money in the long run. Going for an appliance that is rated A+++, the highest energy efficiency rating for white goods will save you money on your bills.
Those are five ways that technology can help you to begin to save money in 2021. There is a whole range of technology out there, so make sure you keep up to date and
Also read: Bitcoin Vs. Cryptocurrency