Lawn Edger is one vital tool for the gardening world. Those people who love their lawns and want a precise and neat edge over it or a perfect garden bed, this tool is for them. It helps in leaving a more professional and cleaner separation when compared to lawnmower or lawn trimmer. It is one tool used by gardeners to give that manicured look to the gardens.
Go for the types first:
These lawn edgers are available under different versions – manual, petrol, battery or electricity. If the manual version is not your cup of tea, why not go for some fancy petrol or electrical models.
- The manual ones comprise of bladed wheel on end of long handle and a rather cheaper option when compared to other modes.
- On the other hand, if you have big space, which is too long for extension cord, then petrol edger is one for you. These edgers comprise of four or two stroke engines.
- Then the market houses electric models, which are inexpensive and easier to start than the petrol models. These products are quitter and will need an extension cord to learn.
- Battery or cordless models are easier to start and don’t have inconvenience of cord dragging behind. But first, don’t forget to change the battery. A greater capacity one will last long. You should know that battery can be well used with other gardening tools from same brand, adding up to the convenience level.
The payment allotted for the edgers:
Once you are sure of the type, it is time to consider the payment module of the edgers. It is yet another proper aspect to check in before investing your hard earned money on a lawn edger.
- Remember that a manual model won’t cost you more than $55 and it’s the cheapest one so far.
- If you are aiming for cordless or the electrical models, then the range will be from $90 to $300.
- The most expensive one got to be the petrol edger model, which will be varying between $200 and $750. The highest budget is targeted for the machine with 4 stroke engines.
Check out some of the features:
Before you invest some bucks on the lawn edger, try to check out some features. These points will surely help you to make the right choice, even when the market has so many options ready for you.
- First of all, don’t forget to check out the power. Edgers are mostly available in electric wheel models, pole gas, gas powered wheels and pole electric. The residential gas powered edger will have pull cord and package will state to be an “easy start.” The ones, which are higher in rate, will have electronic start with on or off buttons. These edgers will need proper horsepower and torque to not get bogged with continued use and heavy foliage. The minimum ratio will be 4.75 torques and a motor of 3.5 horsepower.
- Lawn edger must allow you to quickly and easily replace the edger blade. One edger with adjustable cutting depth with around 3 blade positions will help you to receive sharp and neat line. This edger must further have blade disengagement capability to help stop your blade from turning. It is one major safety feature. You have to keep a close watch on the blade guard, which will prevent debris from flying and causing injury or damage.
- Edging lawn will take same time as mowing it. So, you better not put more time than you need to prepare lawn tools. Most of the major residential gas powered edgers will have 4 cylindrical engines, which will ask you to mix gas and oil. If the edger is using gasoline, then you have “no mixing” printed on the label. It is easier to use.
- Make sure to consider the weight as yet another aspect before purchasing a lawn edger. The edger will be heavier if the gasoline tank has higher capacity. If the gas edger is hand held in nature, it can make huge difference.
Check for the definite marking on blade cover, which will help in following line between lawn and what is next to edge or the guiding tongue. It always offers prime visibility while edging so you get to see what you are doing. Follow these aspects before purchasing a lawn edger.