You are in the right place if you want to know how far it is considered a local move by the best local moving companies. Moving from one place to another is a huge decision, irrespective of the distance. But for costs and other factors to know what local move is and long-distance move, also known as interstate, cross-country, or long haul move. Movers charge for packing and moving the belongings from one place to another primarily based on the distance. Hence, you want to know what a local move is considered by the movers is wise as it will help you plan the moving accordingly.
So, check out the distances considered a local and long-distance move to prepare for the costs, time and effort to start a new life.
Table of Contents
What is local move according to local moving companies?
Depending on the states, the local moving companies consider 30 to 100 miles are moving as a local move. Anything above it, they consider the long-distance move and maybe intrastate within the state or interstate, crossing over to other states. Moving to a new place within 30 to 50 miles is surely a local move and will cost around 300 to 1,500 dollars. But the long-distance move will cost from 2,500 to even above 5,000 dollars depending upon the distance and whether it is intrastate or interstate.
Local move VS Long distance move
If you plan to move to a new place, you should surely know about the differences between the local move and long-distance move. It is not only the distance but many others that include:
- Irrespective of local or long-distance moving, it is essential to have enough preparation for packing and moving the goods safely but more for long-distance moving, including time to prepare well for it
- For local moving, movers may allow perishable food items as it is only for a 30 to 50 miles radius. But for long-distance moving, movers do not allow it as it may get spoiled to have a bad odor apart from insects, microorganisms and others to damage the other belongings.
- Compared to local moving, long-distance moving is more expensive. It requires more time and preparation as it could be interstate to cross state boundaries to pay taxes and comply with many rules for commercial vehicles’ entry timings and others.
- Even the truck size and other requirements differ for local and long-distance moving, as even a smaller truck is enough for local moving for one or more trips. Still, long-distance travel needs to have a bigger truck to accommodate all the belongings in one go to save time and money.
- Though there is stress and anxiety for both local and long-distance moves, it is more for long-distance as it involves crossing states for hundreds of miles. It is vulnerable to many unforeseen liabilities during the long transit.
- The weekend and weekdays schedule for moving and their charges are the same for local and long-distance moving. Still, only the best local moving companies can do it at affordable costs for local moving, and it will remain expensive for a long-distance move.
- Packing is another factor that is vital between the local move and long-distance move. It should be made to perfection for the long-distance move as it involves hundreds of miles and extended time of travel and through changing weather and bumpy roads.
Local move or long-distance move is only the best local moving services that are reliable and trusted to make the moves safe and comfortable.