We all know that throughout time humans have used different mediums to deliver the post. For many years they used carriages and horses to deliver the mail and important packages. In the modern age, we are using the United States postal services. But it can be hard to manage the mail if you are deciding to move. So with all the work going on you can forget to change your address with the United States Postal Service. This can cause lots of inconveniences because all your important packages can get delivered to your old address. Some may also want to change the address to rent a post office box for office use. This will enable them to continue receiving the mail.
Here you will learn about the details related to changing the address with the United States postal service. We have gathered all the steps that will make the process easy for you. You can do the process online as well as in person. Continue reading to know more.
Table of Contents
- How to change the address with the United States postal service?
- a. Online
- b. In person
- How to fill the change of address form?
- USPS Temporary Move Change of Address
- How to Cancel USPS Change of Address request?
- Change your address with other government agencies
How to change the address with the United States postal service?
Know how to change the address with postal service through the online process and also in person. There are two options available.
- Firstly, visit USPS.com/move. This is the site you can use to change the postal address. Also, this is the simple and fastest way to change the mail.
- You have to pay a credit of $1.05 to change the address. Use the credit or debit card to pay. You also have to use your email address.
- The website asks for payment to prevent fraud because someone with the wrong intent can use your identity.
- You can make use of this site to change the address because if you go to other sites they may charge $40 or more. That is why use this official site for the process.
- You will get an email that will confirm the change of address.
b. In person
- Go to the local post office near your house.
- Then ask for a Mover/s Guide packet.
- The contents of this packet will be PS Form 3575. You have to fill in all the details required in the form. This is the form that will help you to change the address.
- After filling the form give it to the postal worker. Also, you can drop it in the letter mail slot.
- In five business days, you will receive a letter confirming the change.
How to fill the change of address form?
There are many instructions to fill the change of address form. Follow the steps below to know about it. Here we will show you the steps on how to fill the form on the USPS website.
- You have to choose the type of move you are making. For instance, you have to say whether you are moving to a new place for family, individual requirements or business.
- Then you have to fill in your first name, middle name or last name.
- After that, if you have any suffixes fill it in the box.
- Then enter your email address and confirm it again in another box.
- The site will use the email address to send the transaction confirmation and also the confirmation for the change of address.
- After that, you have to enter the phone and contact details.
- Next, enter the type of move you are making whether it is permanent or temporary.
- After that enter the date on which you need the mail to get forwarded to your new address. It must not be more than thirty days from when you fill the form.
- Now enter your old address details in the boxes.
- Then enter the details of your new address in the given boxes.
- The site collects the information and keeps it secure. It follows the authorization of 39 U.S.C. 401, 403, and 404.
USPS Temporary Move Change of Address
If you want to move to a new place for a temporary time, then you can also request the postal service directly via mail to the new address for a particular time.
- You can request your local post office to change the address temporarily. There are certain timeline rules you have to follow.
- Also, you can ask the local post office to hold the mail for a short time. If you are on a vacation, you can opt for this arrangement. Visit the USPS site to know if your post office can hold the mail or not.
How to Cancel USPS Change of Address request?
If you want to cancel the change of address request you can notify the post office. But for that, you have to use the confirmation number. You can find it in the confirmation email or letter you received after you made the request. Visit the USPS site to know about the process of cancelling the change of address request.
Change your address with other government agencies
There are many government agencies available and you can use their services too to change the address. Here is the list of Government agencies for your information.
1. Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
You can consult with the IRS for a change of address. If you are expecting a tax refund or other mail you can call the IRS to direct the mail to a new address. Also, change the address with the IRS by giving the new address in the boxes on the tax returns.
2. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA)
If you are a veteran or if someone in your family is a veteran, then you can contact the VA. To get the payment benefits and update the records you can call the VA and ask for a change of address.
3. Social Security Administration (SSA)
You can change the address online by using your social security number. Some may have enrolled in Medicare and have a social security account. So they can use this for a change of address.
4. U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)
Non-US citizens can make use of this service to change their address. You can perform the process within ten days of the move.
5. State Election Offices
You can contact the state election office for a change of address. You can use the voter registration record for this.
These are the ways you can follow to change the address with the United States Postal Service. You can get all your mail even when you move to a new home if you follow the steps given here.