Rapping is one of the popular ways of creating music in the world. Rappers are world-famous for their creativity and for making outstanding music. Some famous rappers are Snoop Dogg, Ice Cube, and Tupac. So, this raises the question of how to rap.
The thing to do before you start rapping
Here is a list of things that you need to do before you start rapping
1. Decide on the genre
The first thing you need to know before rapping is choosing a genre of music. Rappers create music in different types of genres. The commonly used genre for rapping is hip-hop.
Apart from this, rappers explore popular music and the RnB genre to create music. So, check out all the popular genres in rapping and choose where your interest lies.
2. Listen to others
The next important thing you need to do before rapping is studied, other rappers. Studying other rappers can help you learn the accent, style, and stage presentation. These skills will help you explore your career as a rapper and come up with your unique style.
3. Prepare your voice
A voice warmer is the most important part of rapping. This exercise will help you prepare for your career as a rapper. Also, the voice-warming exercise helps protect your vocal cords.
Even after a successful career, most rappers work with trained professionals to work on their voice. So, this is the most important step to becoming a rapper.
4. Learn slang, accent, and breathing techniques
The fourth important step in becoming a rapper is learning important skills. These skills are learning slang and the accent of a rapper. Apart from this, also learned breathing techniques. Ensure you learn to control your breathing, as practicing and delivering rhymes is important.
5. Work on your writing
To master the art of rapping, you need to work on your writing skills. As a rapper, you must write and practice your lyrics. So, make sure you work on your writing skills. Develop a foolproof plan to create lyrics for rapping.
Five simple steps to start rapping
Now that we have seen what things to do before rapping, let us see how to rap.
In this part of the article, we will take you through the steps involved in rapping.
- The first step to how to rap is to decide on the genre of the music. After you decide on the genre of music, work on creating notes and lyrics to match the music. Several online tools help you rap. RyhmeZome is one such online tool that is useful for rappers. This tool helps in finding all the words that rhyme with any word that is typed in. This is the best way for rappers to develop their lyrics.
- The next thing you must do in rap is develop good lyrics. Writing lyrics is a challenging task. But it can be done with the right motivation. Choose a topic that means something to you. This will help you create lyrics and, at the same time, connect with the audience. Also, while developing lyrics, make sure you use words you are familiar with. Practice these words and work with a trained professional before rap.
- Perform regularly to let go of stage fear; it will also help you rectify the mistakes you make. If you find it hard to pronounce any word, then this practice will help you overcome that fear. Also, rappers need to remember the words in the lyrics. So, several practices are necessary to remember and deliver the lyrics properly. While you practice your rapping skills, make use of mics. This is because your voice sounds different on the mic due to voice modulations and other reasons. So, please practice your skills with the help of the mic to avoid trouble on the stage.
- Finally, the last and most important thing to remember in rapping is to take frequent breaks. Rapping continuously can put pressure on your vocal cords. The most important instrument in rapping is your voice. So, you must do everything you can to protect your voice and vocal cords. Therefore, the best way to protect the vocal cords is by taking frequent breaks.
Apart from taking frequent breaks, you must avoid damaging substances to protect your voice. Avoid smoking and drinking alcohol, as they can dehydrate your vocal folds. Food can also damage your voice, so avoid the ones that cause heart burns and harm your voice.
Rapping is a good way of creating music and developing creative music. It is also the best way to develop inspiring and engaging music. However, to do so, you need to prepare and plan properly. Here we have shared what you need to know before rapping and how to rap.
Also read: Lovoy Ruben Mejia, The Artist Who Has Been on His Musical Journey Without Fears