Surgical errors and other medical errors can happen to anyone. But these surgical errors are called “never events”. Because such cases are considered errors that should never happen under any circumstances. Any surgery should not be considered minor. Because it should not be forgotten that every operation can lead to dangerous results.
Due to some mistakes or omissions, the patient may be exposed to disproportionate injury and may result in death. This negligence or mistakes may include defects such as using the wrong instrument during the surgical intervention, using the wrong dose.
What is a surgical error?
Surgical errors are unexpected errors that occur during the surgical procedure that exceeds the natural surgical risk. Surgical errors are actions that should never happen and can be avoided with appropriate medical protocols.
These errors are the most reported errors, accounting for approximately half of preventable medical errors in the health care system. Surgical procedure errors are seen as wrong side, wrong operation, wrong patient, wrong transplant, wrong organ. In addition, forgetting a foreign body in the surgical field is one of these mistakes.
As a result of surgical errors, physical or psychological injuries and death can develop.
Common Surgical Errors
No two surgical procedures can be exactly the same; Every surgery is unique. Likewise, although no surgical error is exactly the same, the things that will cause it can be generalized as follows:
- Errors before or after surgery, such as failure to address complications from surgery
- Accidental cutting of an organ or other part of the body that is not involved in the surgery
- Unnecessary or inappropriate surgeries
- anesthesia errors (such as using too much or not paying attention to the patient’s allergies)
- Instruments and other foreign objects left inside patients
- Surgical incompetence or lack of skill due to neglect, careless behavior, or previous lack of experience performing such a medical procedure
- not completely sterilizing equipment
- not having the necessary equipment to perform the procedure
- surgical staff fatigue caused by lack of sleep
- taking a shortcut to save time and not taking the necessary steps
- Presence of broken, damaged, or defective medical equipment that can be replaced prior to surgery
When you are involved in a procedure where a transaction goes wrong, a legal claim is inevitable. But unfortunately, cases of surgical neglect can be complex and require professional help. When seeking compensation for surgical errors, hiring the right law firm can make all the difference.
What is a surgical error claim?
A claim of surgical error is a claim of medical negligence. Occurs when an operation is unsuccessful or incorrect. This error mentioned may occur during the operation or after the operation. If this medical error causes a health problem or injury to the patient, the patient may claim compensation. This compensation will provide them with a financial solution that covers their losses and costs.
When different and special conditions are left aside; To generalize, a healthcare provider may be entitled to compensation for an injury resulting from his negligence:
- pain and suffering in the patient
- Loss of earnings due to negligence or error
- Health expenditures required to solve the problem
- Travel expenses
- Domestic Assistance
- Permanent Impairment
The specific circumstances surrounding each claim will be different. For this reason, it is the best solution to learn the process by expert personal injury lawyer.