The British Royal Mint is renowned for manufacturing precious metal products that combine traditional craftsmanship and cutting-edge technology. Bold Precious Metals is delighted to present the newest offering from the British Royal Mint: the 2023 Britannia Gold and Silver Britannia Coins. The coin’s first minting, Type 1, will feature Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II’s effigy for the last in the Britannia series on the obverse.
The second minting, Type 2, will feature a new obverse design highlighting King Charles III’s effigy in the new year. The 2023 Gold Britannia Type 1s will be the fifth and final issue in the 2023 Britannia series commemorating Queen Elizabeth II.
Table of Contents
What are the key features of the 2023 Britannia Bullion Coin?
- The purest form of gold and silver.
- The obverse displays the effigy of Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II for the last time on the obverse.
- The background is filled with an alluring guilloche security pattern.
- The queen’s iconic figure on the obverse side represents a tribute to her grace and courage during her decades-long reign and will be the final time Her Majesty will be featured on the obverse..
- Britannia— a symbol of integrity and strength— has been in British coinage for centuries. The reverse features the picture of Britannia who holds a trident in one hand, ready to protect the seas. While on the other hand, she wields a large shield emblazoned with the image of the British flag, ready to defend the realm.
- Wave Pattern – The background pattern is a wave pattern that captures light on the surface of the coin. This pattern simulates the oceanic waves off the coast of Great Britain. This not only adds enticing texture, but it also enhances security.
- Magnificent Shield Design – For additional security, the Britannia shield displays fine and smooth lines.
- Padlock Hologram – A holographic image of a padlock on the bottom left transforms into a trident when the coin is tipped.
- Micro Inscription – The coin features the Latin phrase “Decus Et Tutamen,” which translates to “an ornament and a safeguard,” engraved in microscopic letters along with the inner rim of the coin in a micro-etching process.
Her Majesty’s Legacy
Queen Elizabeth II outlived her great-grandmother, Queen Victoria, and is the longest-reigning British sovereign. In 1987, the Royal Mint introduced Britannia coins as gold bullion coins, silver bullion coins, and platinum bullion coins in 2018. In that same year, artist Jody Clark redesigned her effigy after winning a ‘closed competition’ held by the Royal Mint Advisory Committee.
Unlike other portraits of the Queen, Clark’s was created entirely without the use of manual sculpting, instead using computer-aided design software to transform his original sketches into the necessary low-relief model. His description features a distinguished Elizabeth II wearing the Royal Diamond Diadem crown she wore at her coronation, representing a transitory time of her own.
Britannia was intended to compete with the Krugerrand, the South African Mint’s flagship coin and the first bullion coin to contain precisely 1 oz of gold, and was able to take control of the rapidly expanding gold investment market. The Royal Mint issued its 1oz gold Britannia coin in 1987, exactly 20 years after the Krugerrand.
In 2013, the Royal Mint recognized the coin’s worldwide potential growth and increased its purity to 999.9 (24 carats).
Why Invest in the Britannia Coin?
This is one of the earliest and most recognizable markets. This is the investor’s liquid choice for liquid option as it has worldwide acceptance.
Due to their status as British legal tender pound sterling coins, the 2023 Britannia coins are exempted from capital gains tax.
Why buy Britannia from BOLD?
Including precious metals as a part of an investment portfolio is a great way to solidify your portfolio. There are many online dealers, but one should always go with a trusted dealer that has the best prices, the highest quality, and the best customer service. BOLD Precious Metals has the most consistent low prices, availability, and great customer service. Why shop anywhere else?
Affiliation with the most trusted coin service providers
BOLD is proud to be affiliated with the best bullion-related service providers in the world, including:
- The Jewelers Vigilance Committee (JVC), whose focus is to educate and encourage legal compliance through a greater understanding of laws and regulations that apply to the jewelry industry.
- Numismatic Guaranty Company (NGC) and Professional Coin Grading Service (PCGS) are two of the world’s largest and most trusted third-party coin grading service providers.
- CyberSource and PayPal, are single-platform solutions that accept payment worldwide that are secured by industry-standard automated fraud protection.
Don’t miss out on this final issue of the Queen Elizabeth II effigy on Britannia coins!