If you don’t maintain your steering wheels regularly, they may collect dirt, oil, and bacteria. Moreover, the wheel may become slick from the buildup if you neglect cleaning them for an extended period. Fortunately, steering wheels are simple to clean with a few inexpensive tools. Further, you may make your steering wheel shine by carrying out routine maintenance or by cleaning it more thoroughly! Below, in the article, we have provided a complete guide on steering wheel cleaners.
Table of Contents
- Washing Off Daily Buildup
- Cleaning Steering Wheel More Thoroughly
- On A Wrap
Washing Off Daily Buildup
1. Choose a Cleaning Solution Meant for your Type of Steering Wheel.
Depending on the type of vehicle, various materials are used to make steering wheels. Further, the most typical material for steering wheels is faux leather, but other options include plastic, wood, and genuine leather. When in doubt, refer to your owner’s guide to find the materials and the recommended cleaning procedures.
- If your it is of plastic or faux leather, prepare a solution with 3 parts of all-purpose disinfectant and 1 part of water.
- If your it is of real wood, use wood polish. Additionally, look for a wood grain pattern on the wheel.
- If the leather on your steering wheel is genuine, use a leather cleaning or conditioner. Since distinguishing between faux and real leather can be challenging, consult your owner’s handbook.
2. Spray your Cleaning Solution on a Microfiber Towel.
If it isn’t already, place your steering wheel cleaner in a spray bottle. Furthermore, squirt the cleanser into its center once the towel feels damp to the touch.
- Spraying the cleaner straight onto the steering wheel risks getting it stuck behind the dashboard.
3. Twist the Towel Around the Steering Wheel to Scrub it Clean.
Your hand should be on the towel. Further, it should be on top of the wheel. To wipe the wheel’s front, top, and back, rotate the cloth around it. In addition, work your way around the wheel’s perimeter and wherever you see accumulated dirt and filth.
- Applying too much pressure while cleaning could cause some of the colors in the material to be lifted.
- A center-of-the-wheel cleaning is also a must.
4. Wipe the Cleaner Off with a Damp Cloth.
Washcloths should be clean, damp, and wrung off of extra water. Additionally, ensure that you have removed all extra dirt or cleaner by going over every area you have cleaned. So, when you start driving again, you don’t have any prolonged exposure to any chemical steering wheel cleaner.
- In the absence of a spare cleaning cloth, use paper towels.
- Use An Additional Microfiber Towel To Dry it.
Use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe any remaining water off the steering wheel right away after washing it with water. Moreover, the steering wheel should appear glossy and brand-new after drying.
Cleaning Steering Wheel More Thoroughly
1. To Remove Embedded Dirt from the Stitching, Use a Toothbrush or Soft Interior Brush.
Scrub the steering wheel in small circles by misting it with the steering wheel cleaner or dipping the brush’s end into it. Pay attention to the stitching and spots with accumulated filth. As you work the cleaner into the material, it ought to bubble. Further, after cleaning, use a moist towel to remove the cleaner from the steering wheel.
“The final stage of cleaning a steering wheel is to use a clean (new) toothbrush to really fluff up the Alcantara, bit by bit. One final tip – check the scent of the fabric cleaner to make sure you can live with it before you spray it inside your car.” @perfectionvalet pic.twitter.com/uE1zWeJsUe— Porsche Newsroom (@PorscheNewsroom) April 22, 2020
- Avoid damaging the wheel by not using too much pressure when scrubbing.
- If you don’t have a brush, use an interior scrub pad.
2. If you have Access to a Steam Cleaner, Use it to Disinfect the Wheel.
The steam machine should start after adding distilled water to it. Furthermore, spray the surface of your steering wheel with the single-hole nozzle while using a microfiber wipe to remove any debris as you go. To eradicate any microorganisms and remove the filth, scrub the entire wheel. When all is done, use a microfiber cloth to dry the wheel.
- You can purchase Steam machines online or at home improvement shops.
3. Have a Professional Service Clean your Car.
Find a nearby vehicle wash that provides inside and exterior washing by researching. In addition to this, bring your car in after that and let them repair it. Your automobile will be all new, and the workers will give it a new look and smell.
On A Wrap
So, this was the complete guide for steering wheel cleaners. You may refer to this article to learn how to clean your steering wheels.
Stay tuned for more such intriguing posts!
Also read: How to Clean an Air Filter?