There are no words to describe music. Music is everywhere; it gives immense pleasure to the listener. Everyone enjoys listening to music, especially songs; the only difference is the type of genre they prefer. Music in any form, including singing, is therapeutic. So, this begs the question, how to write a song?
Yes, why not??? Any person can write a song provided he or she has a basic knowledge of music. So, this article will help you by sharing information on how to write a song.
Table of Contents
Pre-requirement for writing a song
As mentioned earlier in the article, anyone with a basic knowledge of music can write a song. Further, a person can use musical instruments like the flute, guitar, or piano to create a song. However, the best way to write a song is by following the steps in the correct order.
1. Decide the genre
The first step to writing a song is deciding the genre. A song can be written in multiple genres, such as romantic, pop, western, classic, folk, and many more. So the first step is deciding the genre of the music. Pick a style that you like or that suits your needs. Then start writing a song.
2. Choosing a beat
The next step in writing a song is choosing a beat. Make sure you choose a beat or rhythm that suits the genre of music that you chose. You must match the genre of music to the rhythm.
Some types of songs require a slow rhythm, whereas there are few songs like techno or rock that require a fast rhythm. So your genre of music determines the rhythm that you choose.
3. Start developing a melody
The third step to writing a song is developing a melody. Start working on your melody with the help of an instrument. Usually, musicians use a guitar or piano to create a melody.
Further, suppose you don’t want to use the instrument in the song. Still, it is the best way to experiment with music. Start with basic keys like G, A, C, D, E, and F. Then, choose a key that is most suitable for your song in hand.
4. Convey the mood
The main reason we can relate to a song is the mood it is trying to convey. So, use minor and major keys to convey the mood in your song. Usually, minor keys convey sad, dramatic, and emotional songs.
On the other hand, major keys are used for creating happy and upbeat songs. Play around with the instrument’s scales until you get the mood you are looking for.
5. Take lessons to learn the instrument
You don’t need to master an instrument to be able to write a song. But instruments are a good way to start writing a song. They help you understand how the melody works and the keys to create a song. So, don’t be shy pick an instrument and start learning. You need not become an expert; just learn how to use it.
Check out the latter part of the article to learn more about how to write a song. The latter part will include a lot of tips and tricks on how to write a song.
Other tips to help create a song
Apart from the information on how to write a song, here are a few other tips that help you create a song.
- 1. Don’t be shy to ask for help; get the help of your friend or someone with musical knowledge. Make this person a co-writer and start writing a song.
- 2. Apart from a co-writer, you can also take the help of music software. There is multiple good music software available in the market. Make use of this software to create music and write a song.
- 3. The next tip is creating a title for a song. Once you decide on a title for a song, it will help create a theme. Follow this theme to develop the song of your desire. Also, develop a catchphrase for your song and build a chorus around it. This is the best way to write a song.
- 4. Start a song by writing one verse at a time. Make sure that verse that you have written complements the music and rhythm. Once this is finalized, move to the next verse.
- 5. Always start slow, develop the verses one at a time and create up to two or three verses for a song. In addition to this, make sure you include a chorus. Chorus is the most important part of a song. It can be considered a deciding factor when writing a song.
- 5. Finally, never start to write a song with lyrics. Establish a piece of music and melody before writing lyrics to a song. Lyrics or words should always be the last step in writing a song. Most of us make the mistake of writing a song with words first. This method of writing a song could be more fruitful as you will lose interest soon. Develop a piece of music, rhythm, background, and emotions before adding words. This method of writing a song is more fun and engaging. It will help you stay motivated throughout the process of creating a song.
With this, we conclude the article – how to write a song. There is no shortcut to writing a song. You need to follow all the steps mentioned in this article to be able to write a song.
Make sure you start with the music and then proceed to write lyrics. Any person can write a song when you do it properly. So, why wait? Pick up your guitar or piano and start creating a song.