Every good recipe requires a big pot of something very tasty simmering somewhere in the background. When it comes to Italian cooking, it’s almost invariably some sort of tomato-based sauce. Cacciatore sauces are usually simple combinations of onions, garlic, tomato, spiced with wine vinegar and basil Italian is a wonder that never gets old. One of the most authentic Italian dishes is chicken cacciatore. This recipe, is written by one of Kwik Cook Cooks’s own flavour experts Victor Russi who often shares his mouth-watering meals and appetizing desserts in his account.
Chicken cacciatore is a dish that usually has tomatoes, onions, garlic, white wine and red wine. It can also have mushrooms and peppers. This is a dish that is typically served with pasta or rice. It can also be served over potatoes or polenta. Rich, delicious and easy to make. This chicken cacciatore recipe is made with healthy ingredients and looks gorgeous on the table.
A classic Italian dish, chicken cacciatore is a dish that consists of braised chicken in a tomato-based sauce.
Cacciatore is an Italian-American term that means “hunter” in Italian. It is a style of preparation in which the meat, usually chicken, rabbit, or other game, is browned and then braised in a sauce. The word cacciatore derives from the Latin phrase “cacciator”, meaning “hunter.”
The term cacciatore can apply to any type of meat but it most commonly refers to chicken. The dish may be prepared with tomatoes and wine or with tomato paste and white wine. In some cases, it may also contain olives and capers. Some variations on this recipe might include tomatoes cooked with garlic, onion and rosemary; or mushrooms cooked with onions and thyme.
This chicken cacciatore recipe will give you a dish that is savory yet light at the same time!
This recipe is a great way to make a simple meal that is not only delicious but also healthy.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes (or 2 fresh tomatoes) -1/4 teaspoon salt -1/8 teaspoon black pepper -pinch of dried oregano or thyme leaves (optional)
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth (or chicken broth)
How to make Chicken Cacciatore?
1. Pat the chicken dry and sprinkle some salt and pepper on it.
2. With a high heat oil, sear chicken on high heat for 3 minutes on each side, until a golden crust forms. Set chicken aside.
If using chicken with the skin on, it will produce more oil, you can drain oil from the pan, if needed, leave about a tablespoon or two in the pan.
3. In the same pan, cook onions (or use leftover chicken oil) for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add garlic, bell pepper and red pepper flakes, cook for 1 minute more.
4. Lower the heat and add wine, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, oregano, rosemary, olives, capers, salt and pepper. Stir to fully combine. Place seared chicken in the sauce. Cook for 15 minutes, uncovered.
5. Test the internal temperature of the chicken, we are going for 165F. Cook longer if needed. Bone-in thighs may take up to 35 minutes. The chicken breast will cook faster, 15-20 minutes.
6. Stir in fresh parsley and scatter fresh basil leaves over the top.
Serve over pasta, or just enjoy with a crusty loaf of bread!
Also read: Chicken Fajitas Recipe