Hello, dear electric bike owner! We’re happy you join the ranks of the growing number of electric bike enthusiasts and here are a couple of tips from us to keep your electric bicycle nice and tidy. To keep your electric bike running smoothly, you should clean it regularly to ensure that all its parts remain in good condition and that any dirt, debris or grime doesn’t interfere with its performance.
With a few simple steps, you can easily take care of your e-bike and ensure it stays in good condition for many years.
Table of Contents
Must-Have Equipment for Cleaning Your eBike
You need to have:
Bike cleaner: A specially formulated bike cleaner will help you remove dirt and grime from your electric bike.
Soft brush: A soft brush can be used to get into hard-to-reach areas such as the drivetrain, brakes, and gears.
Dry microfiber cloth: To wipe away excess dirt and water after cleaning.
Dry lubricant: A dry lubricant will help you keep your electric bike’s chain, pedals and other components running smoothly.
These are the essential items in your electric bike cleaning arsenal. You may need something more for your comfortable cleaning.
Cleaning Your eBike: Step-By-Step Guide
IMPORTANT! Close the battery port plug before you start the process of cleaning. Though electric bicycle is water-resistant, it is not waterproof.
1. Pre-rinse your bike with a hose or a bucket of water. This will help remove any loose dirt and debris that may be present on the frame, brakes, gears and drivetrain components.
2. Apply the bicycle cleaner in areas where dirt has built up, such as the drivetrain, brakes and gears. Let it sit for several minutes to allow the cleaner time to penetrate the dirt.
3. Use a soft brush or cloth to scrub away any stubborn dirt or grime that remains on your bike.
4. Carefully clean all the parts of your electric bike’s body. This includes the frame, handlebars, rims and hubs and more.
5. Rinse your bike with a hose or bucket of water until it’s sparkling clean.
6. Once your bike is finished drying, apply the dry lubricant to all moving parts, such as chains, pedals and brakes.
7. Finally, wipe away any excess dirt or water with a dry microfiber cloth.
How to Clean the Front and Rear Wheels of Your Electric Bicycle?
There is a difference in how you should clean the front and rear wheels of your eBike. The rear wheel has more sensitive components than the front one, therefore, it needs more attention.
Front Wheel: To clean the front wheel of your electric bicycle, use a soft brush to remove dirt and debris from the rims and spokes. Apply the cleaner and give your front wheel a good spin so that all the dirt is properly removed. Then rinse with a hose or bucket of water, and use a dry microfiber cloth to apply the lubricant.
Rear Wheel: To clean the rear wheel of your electric bike, you need to be extra careful not to damage any components. Use a soft brush to remove dirt and debris from the rims, but then apply the cleaner only to the rag. Further, freewheel a light spin and scrub the rear wheel using the rag. Finally, apply the dry lubricant on all moving parts and use a dry microfiber cloth to wipe away any excess dirt or water.
Remember that the wheels are one of the dirtiest parts of your electric bicycle. Clean them in the end so your microfiber cloth does not get too dirty.
Clean the Brakes of Your Electric Bike
Use a two-inch pipe cleaner and gently clean the area between the brake pads. This will help remove any dirt or dust that has accumulated in this area, and it will also help prevent brake pad wear.
Apply a small amount of bike cleaner to a cloth and wipe down both sides of your brake pads. Don’t forget to clean the rims in the process if you have rim brakes.
We hope that you found these tips helpful and will now be able to take better care of your electric bicycle. Cleaning your eBike regularly is essential for its proper functioning, so ensure you do it correctly! Happy riding!
Also read: Guide to Electric Bike Brakes