Are you looking for a handcrafted gift for your friend? Crocheting a hat can be a great gift option. For those who are new to crocheting, handcrafting a new hat is a daunting task. Here are the easiest methods for how to crochet a hat.
However, it has become easier for people who have learned the art of crocheting. You need to follow some simple tricks and tips to make crocheting easier.
How To Crochet A Hat?
Step 1: Designing Procedure Of Hat
1. Get your yarn:
To crochet a hat, you may require good yarn. For experienced people, any type of yarn is fine for them. But for beginners, choosing a yarn is crucial as it helps them ease the procedure.
Check that you choose a yarn with great elasticity but not thick or fluffy. It is also better to go with 4-ply knitting yarn made of wool or acrylic material. Newbies can go with a lighter color of yarn, as it is easy to see and count stitches.
2. Find out the size of your hat:
Before you are going to make the hat, you need to choose the size of the hat. You have two options to get the size.
- The first one is following the general guidelines for choosing the size
- Secondly, taking a head measurement to get a more accurate shape and fit
Both methods will work for you, but you can’t get the right measurement if you are going to present it as a gift. To get the size of the hat, you need to measure the circumference and height. Here consider the average sizes for making a hat.
- Newborn – circumference is14 inches and height is 5 inches
- 6 + months baby – circumference is16 inches and height is 6 inches
- Infants and children – circumference is 20 inches, and height is 7.25 inches
- Adults – circumference is 22 inches and height is 8.5inches
- Aged adults -circumference is 24 inches, and height is 9.25 inches
- Premature babies – circumference is 12 inches, and height is 4.25 inches
3. Choose the good quality crochet hook:
The size of your yarn determines the crochet hook size. Since you have 4-ply knitting worsted yarn, you need to take the hook of H/8 (aluminum material). This hook size is great for beginners, as you can use it for crocheting different yarn sizes. Then, it is time to decide how you will hold the hook. There are two methods to hold the hook,
- The first one is the pencil hold type in which you are going to hold it like writing
- The second one is the knife hold type in which you are going to hold it like a knife to cut things
Step 2: Designing The Base Chain To Crochet A Hat
1. Tie the slipknot to hold the needle:
It is the starting procedure to crochet a hat where you tie a slip knot to hold the needle. Hold the end of the yarn to make a loop and get a slip knot to tie the knot. Soon after you tie the knot, insert the needle into it and slightly tighten the yarn to hold it.
2. Making a foundation chain:
Here the foundation chain means making the first row of the stitches proceed further. It is not a lengthy chain, but you must make five stitches to start the procedure. In this method, first, hold the tail end of the slipknot to start the chain.
Move forward the hook and wrap the yarn until it reaches the hook’s end once. Again, pull back the hook to its original slipknot position. This is how you do the first stitch and repeat it five times.
3. Joining the first chain end through a slip stitch:
You must hook back in a loop to finish the foundation chain row. You need to stick the hook end through the first stitch’s center to do a single stitch. While doing the hat, you need to have a count of stitches.
To start the count, you need to mark the origin. It is very simple, as you can use a bobby pin to slide over the stitch as a mark. This will help you to understand that you had completed one row when you reached this point again.
Step 3: Developing Your Foundation Chain Into A Hat
1. Crocheting in the round and the second row with double stitch:
So, how to crochet a hat using a base chain? To develop your base chain into a hat, you must crochet roundly. It means start pulling the hook through it in a spiral. Never change the direction of crocheting at any point. After finishing it, you need to start double stitching. It will attach the new stitching rows to the center of the spiral.
2. Changing the pattern:
Once you complete the double stitch around a row, you need to change the pattern. So, it is like, you will be doing a double stitch followed by a single stitch, and again a double stitch, and vice versa.
3. Get the count of your stitches:
It is easy to make the first few rows while crocheting a hat. Here comes the example of doing a row of five, along with the number of stitches.
- The first row requires 5 stitches
- Then, the second row needs 10 stitches
- The third row comes with 30 stitches
- The fourth row needs 45 stitches
- Finally, the fifth row ends with 60 stitches
4. After the seventh row, start going with single stitches:
To complete the hat structure, you may require rows of single stitches. Then, add some length to the hat to make it wider and start doing rows of singles stitches. To hide the hat end piece, you can weave it into the hat structure. This will end the procedure of crocheting the hat.
So, this is how you crochet a hat, and it is easy for beginners to learn quickly. For further clarifications, go through the article to get a clear view of crocheting a hat.
Also read: Five Ways to Transform a Simple Outfit with Accessories