Crickets can be creepy as well as annoying little creatures to have in your home. Moreover, with their continuous annoying chirping sound at night, it becomes difficult to locate them. In fact, since they love to chirp, you can also call them stinging pests. They often enter houses primarily to survive indefinitely.
So, in this article, we will talk about some interesting facts on cricket as well as the means by which you can get rid of them. So, give this article a read, if you want to know more about these insects.
Table of Contents
A Bit on These Insects
These are small little insects that love to chirp at night, in dark areas. Once they enter your house, it can become difficult to get rid of them. These insects belong to the Gryllidae family. Moreover, you can also find them in gardens, houses as well as in other dark areas. The cricket word is derived from French ‘Criquet’. Here’s another interesting fact, the majority of the female crickets don’t chirp. So, mostly they are males who chirp around.
What do crickets eat?
Well, generally they feed on plants, dead or alive insects as well as other crickets outside the house. Moreover, indoors, they can eat fabric, clothes, carpets. In addition, wool, silk, cotton, etc also attracts them.
An Interesting Superstition About These Insects
No matter how annoying they might seem to you, there’s also a superstition about them. According to myths, they seem to have a presence of good luck. Moreover, they are the bringers of fortune, intelligence, and prosperity. Therefore, if you harm them, misfortune will befall you.
In China and other parts of the globe, there’s an interesting thing about these insects. Cricket fighting is popular there. In addition, in east Asian countries, people lock them up in cages for their chirping song.
How Long do Crickets Live?
According to research, they live for a period of about 90 days. However, they can reproduce and hatch eggs at a quick rate. Generally, in late spring, they reproduce and hatch eggs. Therefore, in late summer, they can become adult crickets.
Some Ways with Which You Can Keep Them Out of Your House
So now let’s discuss a few ways of getting them out of your house if you can’t stand the annoying chirping sound at night.
- Try Cricket baits. These are really cool options get rid of them. Moreover, you can also catch them through these without much hassle. To make this, you need a spoonful of molasses and place them in a bowl. Thereafter, mix some water and keep the bowl to the place to a corner. Since these creatures are fond of molasses, they will hope on to it. Later on, you can through them away.
- Use sticky glue traps to catch these annoying insects. You can place these traps in the places where those creatures are most likely to be, such as walls, windows, or doorway corners.
- The most common technique would be bug sprays. Spray in the corners and dark areas of your room. Since dark and hidden areas have greater chances of them being there.
- They are fond of long grassy areas as well. So, keep the garden clean at all times.
- Moreover, bright light attracts them. So, try to use lower light or amber LED lights in your room so that those won’t attract them.
So that’s it, guys. These were some interesting facts about the little creature. Moreover, you can also follow the above steps to keep them out of your house. If they have already infested indoors, then you can also get rid of them through the means we discussed.
Also read: A New Homeowner’s Guide to Each Type of Pest