Today new gardeners are joining the large crowd of passionate gardeners, so they could also benefit from growing plants in their homes. The snake plant is one such easy maintenance plant you can consider for your home if you are a new gardener. These are from Asia and Africa, and their leaves are beautiful as they are peculiar in a shape of a sword. Because of their appearance, the plant enhances home décor in many places.
Further, the plants are safe to grow in your home, as they are not toxic. But if consumed by your children or pets, these plants can harm them as they have a mild poison. Other than this, you can choose this plant and learn how to grow and care for it in your home.
Table of Contents
- What are the advantages of having a Snake Plant?
- What are the different types of snake plants?
- Essential tips for growing snake plants in home
- How to maintain the snake plant?
- What are the common pests and diseases in snake plants?
What are the advantages of having a Snake Plant?
The snake plant is commonly known as the mother-in-law’s tongue in many places. It is a robust plant that can grow up to six inches. It offers a great ambiance in your home when you keep it in your living room or near the washroom. Plus, these have lots of health benefits to offer as well.
If the indoor air is not clean, the snake plants can filter it and give you clean air to breathe.
- They get rid of any toxic pollutants in the atmosphere.
- It can help enhance your and your family’s mental health.
- It is also easy to maintain.
- You will find that they deal well with allergies in the air.
- They are suitable for Feng Shui.
- They can help you to deal with minor ailments.
What are the different types of snake plants?
Snake plants have slender, green leaves with silver streaks. Also, these types can grow several feet and fare well in low-light areas. Here are some types of snake plants you have to know.
1. Bird’s nest:
This kind of snake plant is also known as Hawaii. It is small but can grow up to six inches tall. The leaves from this plant look like a cup, similar to a bird’s nest.
2. Cylinder snake plant:
This snake plant has round leaves and a cylinder. They can grow many feet in length too.
3. Twisted Sister
It is a rare variety of snake plant, and it is small. It has varied gold and green leaves.
4. White snake plant:
It is well-known for its dark green leaves with vertical stripes.
5: Rhino grass:
It is a unique variety of the houseplant that creates a tight clump of vertical leaves.
Essential tips for growing snake plants in home
If you are a beginner learning to grow plants in your home, you can start with the Snake plant. The method of increasing it is not very complex. Here are the vital steps to growing snake plants.
- First, you must choose a potting mix that drains well. Some of its best-known ingredients are Sand, perlite, and vermiculite, as these are good in water draining.
- You have to fill a container with the potting mix in two-thirds quantity. You can dig into the soil mixture at the center using your hands or a tool.
- Get the snake plant from the nursery and try to loosen the roots. If the roots are tangled, you can use the gardening snips to lessen their growth.
- Now place the snake plant in the container and use the soil to enclose its roots.
- Indirect light is the best for the snake plant.
- You have to water the plant lightly. Touch the soil to know whether it has moisture or not.
How to maintain the snake plant?
The snake plant is one of the low-maintenance plants on the list. You can keep the plant in a sink or a bathtub to keep it cool. The best time to water the plant is when the soil is dry.
If you want fertilizer in the plant, you can add it once or twice a year with the right kind of fertilizer.
If you use snake plants in your home, keep these things in mind to take care of them.
1. Be careful when watering the plant
Too much water can become a weakness to the plant. So when watering, you can use watering tools that water gently and slowly. Don’t pour much water but sprinkle water on the plant soil and leaves. It prevents root rot in the plant. Only water the plant when it is scorched.
2. No direct sunlight
Only indirect sunlight is the perfect location for the snake plant. But because of its resilience, it can still grow in dark places. But don’t keep it in direct sunlight and light as it can harm the plant. On the other hand, if it succeeds in entirely shady areas, its leaves can become dull and floppy.
It is straightforward to multiply the snake plant. Follow the standard method of stem cutting to get new plants.
What are the common pests and diseases in snake plants?
The snake is a tough plant, so it gets rid of most of the pests and diseases that attack it. But many times, you may find mealybugs or spider mites that can damage the plant. If you see lots of these pests in the plant, use insecticidal soap according to its directions.
If you find that the leaves of the plant are drooping down or turning yellow, check it out immediately. There may be some issue with the plant because of change in atmosphere. Or it can also be due to some unknown disease. You can get help from a professional gardener to know what the issue is. They will give you some tips or medicine to heal the plant.
Snake plants are great for new gardeners. They are pleasing to the eyes, so you will feel happy and less stressed whenever you view the plants in your home. This plant in your home will keep you calm and in a good mood. Also, it keeps you engaged as you can look after the plant when you feel bored.
Also read: Swiss Cheese Plant: How to Grow and Care