When it comes to dinnerware sets, people go for a touch of class which will remain in style for years. With looks, the quality matters too. The dinnerware sets should withstand the rigours of daily use. More than two hundred collections and over fifty types of dinnerware options are available in the market. It can be overwhelming to choose one for your home. But you should narrow down your needs and select the one which suits you the best.
Table of Contents
Things to know about buying Dinnerware
- First of all, decide how many pieces you need. Usually, service for twelve guests is traditional. But if you prefer intimate gatherings or you have a smaller dining arrangement, you can get eight sets of new dishes.
- The size of the plate is something that’s an afterthought. But make sure that you confirm that the Dinnerware fits comfortably into your cabinets and microwave oven.
- If you’re looking for casual Dinnerware, then always go for durability.
- If you want to shop for formal Dinnerware, consider an array of materials available in the market.
- The Dinnerware should reflect your style sensibility. Choose a dinnerware that complements the colour of your room and the style of flatware you use.
Types of dinnerware materials
Before you start wondering about the look, the set’s material should be a helpful start. Here are some different types of materials.
1. Bone China
Bone china is a durable, lightweight and elegant option for everyday and unique occasion dinnerware because it is chip resistant. And it’s also the most substantial range in bone china for dinnerware sets. Lastly, it is microwave and dishwasher-safe.
Earthenware is known for its sturdiness and casual appeal. It is one of the oldest industrial materials, which gives significant weight to your Dinnerware. Please avoid keeping these in unexpected temperature changes.
Porcelain is a versatile material and has a non-porous surface and incredible durability. Its manufacturing requires high firing temperatures, so they are dishwasher, microwave and oven-safe.
These sets are shatterproof as well as very hard to break or chip. These are perfect for outdoor use. But melamine is not suitable for your oven or microwave.
Stoneware dinnerware sets are known for their unique finishing glaze. It gives a smooth look to the material and makes it ideal for everyday use. These are durable but require even temperatures to sustain. Also, high heat or freezing temperatures can damage the stoneware sets.
Tips to keep your Dinnerware looking great
- Soak pieces in white vinegar for two to three minutes. Then rinse and towel-dry the set to remove hard-water spots on the Dinnerware.
- Rub a paste of baking soda and water over the area where there’s a stain before rinsing and drying.
- Stack the sets away from the frequently-used dishes. It will prevent scratching and chipping your fine china dinnerware.
How to select Dinnerware?
Formal Dinnerware includes all the pieces one person would need at the table. It is best for couples who are building their collections. The five-element set consists of a dinner plate, salad plate, bread plate, teacup and saucer.
Dinnerware sets include multiple place settings, out of which the 20-piece sets are the most common to serve four people.
Open stock is Dinnerware sold piece-by-piece. It is ideal for people who only need a few pieces or someone who wants to mix and match within a collection for a dinnerware set. Usually, eight to twelve five-piece place settings are enough Dinnerware for general use.
Best Dinnerware sets for home
Corelle plates are popular for a reason. It is majorly because this 18-piece set is chip-resistant, sleek, durable and dishwasher safe.
A luxurious five-piece setting made for an elegant brunch is a great luxury option. It is microwave, dishwasher, and oven-safe and is thin, light, yet relatively durable. You can get dinnerware sets in various hues like cobalt blue, mulberry, sunflower, and white to match your style and give a funky look. Colourful Dinnerware adds a pop of colour to the kitchen.
Speckled Dinnerware is available in seven different speckled hues. But these are enamel-coated, which implies they’re not microwavable and might chip if dropped.
You can also buy white Dinnerware, which works for both formal and casual use. Adding accessories such as placemats, chargers, and linens enhances the look by adding colour and personality to an otherwise neutral table.
The dining table is where you have your food and nurture family relations as you eat. Set it your way with various options to choose the best Dinnerware for your home. Remember the essential points and choose the best sets for your home.