The family sharing feature in Apple is specially designed to offer your family the best services. You can easily share content with your family, purchase products across a lot of iOS devices and Apple ID accounts. Furthermore, up to six people in the family can share iTunes, App Store purchases, Apple Books and Apple Music family plan. Without the requirement of sharing accounts, you can share photo albums, Apple News+ subscription, iCloud storage plan and more.
Here are all the things you have to know about the Apple family sharing setup and its benefits.
Table of Contents
Setup the family sharing feature
The family sharing feature setup in Apple is easy to do. The person who sets up the account is the organiser. They can choose the feature the family can share and can also invite the five family members to make the family sharing group. If a family member gets invited they can see the Family Sharing set up on their Apple device.
Steps to perform the family sharing setup in iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch
- You have to open the Settings and tap your name
- Then click ‘Set Up Family Sharing’
- Press Get started
- Select the first feature you would like to share with the family
- Then click continue
- Select a shared payment method and the card will get used by family members to pay for the things like iTunes, Apple Books and App Store purchases
- After that click continue
- Press the invite the family members
- Now you have to enter the security number for your shared payment card. Then press Next
- A new iMessage will get displayed on the screen with a link to the family invitation. You have to type the name and the contact of your family member on it. Then click send.
- Lastly, click done
Steps to perform the family sharing setup on Mac
- Select the Apple menu in the top left of the screen
- Now go to the system preferences
- Press the iCloud. If you are on macOS Catalina there will be a family sharing icon you have to click that.
- Click ‘Set up Family’ or ‘Add Family Member’
- Now enter the name of the family member and contact. You can also add email or Game Centre nickname
- Now press continue
- Then enter the security card for your card as you are the family organiser
- You can choose whether to send the invitation or not. You can ask your family member to enter the password for their Apple ID.
What are the requirements for getting the Family sharing feature?
The family members have to use running iOS 8 and later to get the feature. They can also have OS X Yosemite and later. Each of the family members has to be at one particular family group at a time. The feature allows the family member to switch to other family groups only twice a year. Moreover, there is also an option to create an Apple ID for a child under thirteen. They can also become part of the Family Sharing group.
Enjoy the benefits of the Family sharing group with your family. You can share iTunes, Apple Music, App Store purchases and more with your loving family members easily.