All housekeepers want to secure their homes and live with comfort. It should be done in a variety of ways. One of them is to provide enough amounts of cold and especially hot water. To bring, circulate, and heat the water, wise housekeepers use a tankless hot water heater or a tank water heater. Nonetheless, the option is not that beneficial due to a few peculiarities.
We will highlight those peculiarities in our informative guide. We would like to tell you about the benefits of a tankless water heater and why it is better compared to a similar option with a tank. Besides, we will mention some drawbacks as well to make our review fair and useful for our readers. Therefore, be attentive to weigh down all pros and cons of this important appliance for your household.
Table of Contents
First of all, we will discuss the benefits you may enjoy if you use a tankless water heater. They are as follows:
- Energy savers. Tankless units can save from 27% to 50% of fuel costs compared to a tank water heater. This advantage is possible thanks to the on-demand option. The water gets heated only when you open the hot water tap. In the meanwhile, a tank unit heats it all the time, and it consumes a lot of fuel.
- Lifespan. Tankless water heaters may function for about 20 years without major breaks and malfunctions. All their parts can be easily replaced, and this prolongs the life expectancy of this type. The tank type lives for about 10-15 years.
- Size. A tankless water heater is smaller than its tank analog because it has no tank. Accordingly, it requires less space and can be installed anywhere – even outside!
Now, it is time to highlight the downsides of this great invention of human genius. Although it is very resourceful, we cannot ignore some cons. These are:
- Cost. A tankless unit is more expensive. While the tank heater’s cost ranges from $570 to $600, its alternative may reach $1.150
- Installation cost. The cost of installation is also more expensive. You will have to pay something about $1.000 if it’s an electric type and $3.000 if it’s a gas type.
- Additional equipment. It’s quite possible that you will be obliged to buy some extra equipment because tankless water heaters need venting or gas supply.
- Capacity. Most tankless units cannot be used for the whole house and cannot support many appliances at the same time.
Additionally, you may have to pay more if you have a gas unit. It may require regular maintenance to flush all the calcium and magnesium buildup. If you do not do that regularly, your heater will be quickly spoiled. Therefore, you should also buy a hard water softener and add it to the machine. It helps to prevent buildups and damage.
How to Choose the Right Heater?
If you intend to buy a home depot water heater, you should be aware of all these facts. Besides, you should do some research to define the best instant hot water heater for your case. It can be done by following the next instructions:
1. Turn to a Pro Service Center
The first tip is logical. You should get a consultation in a certified service center. If its reputation is reliable, you can freely clarify all the uncertainties. An expert will tell you about all pros and cons, possible issues, expenses, etc. Besides, you will learn vita characteristics of the best models. This data is of enormous importance!
2. Ask Other People
Make sure to talk to people who have already dealt with various types of water heaters. These may be your relatives, friends, and colleagues. Even if it’s a reliable acquaintance, ask him or her for a piece of advice. An experienced person may tell you about some downsides you may never notice before you begin to exploit the machine.
3. Read Customers’ Reviews
Similar to the previous tip, you should learn the opinion of people you don’t know. This time, you should find and read reviews of other people who had experience with water heaters of various types and models. They provide crucial facts to affect your final decision.
4. Check Rating Sites
Obligatorily review special rating agencies. Various platforms, such as Reddit or TrustPilot, gather information about kinds of things. Among them are facts about the best water heaters. They create objective ratings and offer detailed reviews of the main features of every option. Give heed to what they recommend.
5. Surf the Social Media
Do not underestimate the resourcefulness of social media platforms. They are not about chatting, sharing photos, fun, and entertainment only. They likewise provide tons of useful information! For example, you may find many useful video reviews on YouTube. You will see comparisons and full presentations of various types and models. You may also have a lot of publics, forums, and communities on Facebook and Instagram. They may provide some vital details and insights.
A Point for Your Consideration
Mind that you may choose either a tankless water heater electric or a tankless gas water heater. The source of energy plays a vital role! For example, you live in an area with low deposits of gas. Accordingly, a gas unit will cost more, and buying an electric alternative will be more reasonable.
We have provided the main pros and cons of tankless water heaters. As you are well-informed, you can draw logical conclusions to make the right choice. Make sure you consider the smart tips on how to choose a good tankless hot water heater. Thus, we will know that you will not miss any vital points.
A tankless water heater is very resourceful and fast. Its main disadvantage is the cost and some additional expenses. However, it may be a good investment in the long run! Weigh all pros and cons to define which option is better.