Quilts are #truelove for most of us if you get what we want to say! There is nothing like a quilt’s warmth and comfort in various scenarios. A rainy day’s pitter-patter with cool winds is enhanced even more with a trusted and snuggly quilt.
It is also an indispensable part of savouring chilly days and enabling great sleep after a hard day’s work. Most of us use quilts throughout the year, especially if the air conditioner is turned on. Sounds familiar, right?
However, buying a quilt online in your preferred colour and material is not enough. With regular usage, there will be unavoidable wear and tear that you will have to contend with. How do you ensure that your precious quilt remains in mint condition and keeps you happily comfy for years?
This is only possible with regular care and maintenance. While you may spend a lot of time choosing the best option that is tailored to your specific requirements, you should also put in a little effort towards properly maintaining your quilt in the best way.
Here are a few tips that you can follow in this regard.
Dos While Caring for Your Quilt
Caring for your quilt is not rocket science. You do not have to spend much time and energy in the process. All you have to do is follow these simple tips:
- Washing in the winter is a strict no-no since it is not possible. No one wants to give up the warmth of a quilt in the winter season. Hence, there are always chances of getting stains and marks on the quilt. You should thus frequently wash the quilt throughout the year if you use it periodically.
- Ensure you do not use any strong detergent or bleach for washing purposes.
- Choose a gentle washing mode while washing your quilt in the washing machine. This is imperative since these quilts make use of refined and delicate fibres. Hence, being gentle is the order of the day. If you fear damaging it in the machine, then stick to hand washing.
- Hand washing may be essential for quilts, which may be more delicate. This may also be useful for those with embroidery or a beaded texture. Machine washing will damage these embellishments, and hence you should be careful in this regard.
- Gentle and mild soap should be used while washing any quilt. Rougher and harsher detergents may have a negative effect on the fabric and colour of the quilt.
- Remove dust and particles with a vacuum cleaner if you are not the frequent washing type. You should put a nylon stocking over the end of the vacuum hose to prevent any damage to the threads.
- Air out the quilt on days which are sunny and clear. Fold it over your clothesline for this purpose. You can also put it on the grass or the terrace.
- You should remove stains with a suitable washing technique as soon as they are seen.
- If you store the quilt for a few months, fold it neatly and refold after every three months.
Now that you have an idea about the things to do while caring for your quilt, here are a few don’ts that you should strictly abide by.
Don’ts for Quilt Maintenance
Here are some things that you should not do to ensure the long life of your quilt:
- Do not attempt to wash quilts which are heirlooms or have been carefully preserved for several years.
- Do not make use of warm water while washing quilts. This is because it will end up damaging the fabric.
- Check the colour fastness before washing; several manufacturers or brands provide this advice.
- Never dry the quilt in a dryer and put it flat out for drying.
- Avoid eating and drinking on the quilt or near it as much as possible. This will keep stains away, without a doubt.
- Dry cleaning leads to damage since the chemicals may affect the quilt’s durability.
- Do not use plastic bags for storing quilts since breathability is essential.
- Avoid putting quilts in wooden boxes since bugs may damage the same.
It would be best to keep these things in mind while buying quilt. A little time and effort on maintenance will save you significant hassles in the long run. Perhaps if you are looking for a soft quilt online, SPACES offers a vast selection of quilts crafted with utmost care and attention to detail.
Their collection features premium materials, intricate designs, and superior craftsmanship, ensuring you find the perfect quilt to suit your needs and preferences.
Here’s to years of lovely snuggles with your beloved quilt for company!