If you are having long hair and wanted to go for a short hairstyle, then you simply donate your hair. Many organizations allow your hair donation and thus, you can donate your hair in such places. Such organizations are collecting the hair of others to help some people having problems including,
- Hair loss due to illness conditions like cancer, etc
- Hair fall due to injury
- Hair loss due to skin conditions
- Hair fall due to chemotherapy treatment
One of the organizations even uses hair to help the earth. But before donating your hair you need to check your hair conditions.
Table of Contents
How to Donate Your Hair?
There are some factors that you need to consider before donating your hair. Here are such things briefly.
- Check whether your hair is completely clean and dry while donating
- The next thing is the length of the hair. When you have a hair that is of a particular length, you can go for donating it. To make wigs, only certain lengthy hair will be allowed for donation. There are no clippings.
- You would have cut your hair recently so that one can use it for wigs. Hair that was cut long ago, is difficult to make wigs.
- If you have chemically treated hair, never think that you will not be allowed by organizations. But you can just check with the organizations about this query.
- When you are mailing your hair, ensure that you place the hair inside the Ziploc bag and then put it in an envelope. Never simply put the hair inside the envelope, which will help to maintain the hair safe and intact.
- Some organizations may provide free wigs to the needed people while they charge for wigs. So, you need to check about the organization before donating your hair.
Best Places to Donate Hair
One of the most popular organizations in the world that comes at the top of this list is locks of love. Here the ponytail donations are popular and it is used for the requirement of the children. Since 1997, this organization has been helping disadvantaged children by providing fashioning wigs.
This organization provides all of its details on its website where you can get an idea about how to donate hair here. Here the advantage is that they even accept chemically treated hair or bleached hair without any issue.
Children with hair loss come next on the list, where you can donate your hair. They will donate the hair to the children having medical issues. Thus, this organization comes as a no-cost hair replacement for children.
Here the advantage is that they will accept even less lengthy hair donations of around 8 to 10 inches. Ensure that you are taking care of your hair a lot if you are planning for a donation. You can nourish your hair using some organic washes. If you are ready to donate the hair, they will put the ponytail to cut where you want to, and take your hair. Then, they will style the cut hair and donate them to others.
3. Dreadlocks of Love
This organization is mainly for helping cancer patients with loc wigs of all ages. Here, the interesting thing is the variety of locs that you get here such as colored wigs, wigs with beads and wires, etc.
Almost for more than 30 years, Wigs for Kids has been in the industry for helping disadvantaged children with hair donation. They are helping children with the best wigs, who are suffering from serious hair loss. Here they concentrate much on the design of wigs, as they wanted to mimic the children’s hair. Additionally, the wigs should stay comfortably on the head of the children while playing.
Here the donation is simple and easy which means you can cut the hair yourself and donate them. Also, you can attend their special events or donation events for donating your hair.
Here the minimum length that they accept the ponytails will be 12 to 14 inches long. To donate your hair here, you can simply visit their website.
Matter of Trust is a different kind of organization where they collect hair to improve the environment. They collect hair from salons, grooming shops, and individuals. Using them, they convert the natural fibers into mats to use, as a substitute for soaking up petrochemical pollutants and oil spillage issues from waterways.
If you are thinking to donate your hair to some useful works, then you can donate it to Matter of Trust. These moldable hair mats will help to prevent soil erosion and even save wild habitats. This is an amazing fact that old hair could wonderfully save our environment.
To make just one wig, it will take around 10 to 12 ponytail donations. The decent cost of one wig is around between $2,500 and $3,000. Though the wigs are such expensive stuff, Maggie’s Wigs 4 Kids helps the child in need greatly. It is a Michigan-based non-profit company and helps children suffering from hair loss due to
- Cancer Chemotherapy treatments
Almost, thousands of Canadian children suffer from hair loss due to health ailments. But to support such poor children, Angel Hair For Kids comes as the best child’s voice foundation since 1995. Here to donate your hair, you should at least have your ponytail to be 12 inches long. So, you can donate your hair to develop wigs for children suffering from hair loss.
This is all about the places where you can donate your hair and help those suffering from hair loss. Read through the article to get more information about the best places to donate hair.
Also read: Hair Spa- Benefits for Healthy Hair Growth