If you’re working or have filing requirements in the United States, you may need to pay your taxes there. In order to do that, you’ll need an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, or ITIN – no matter if you’re a US resident or not.
Table of Contents
What is an ITIN number?
ITIN, or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number, is a number issued by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS), required for proper tax processing. All individuals who have an eligible reason to apply for ITIN in or outside the United States but do not or are not eligible to obtain a Social Security Number (SSN).
An ITIN number is given to taxpayers for easy and efficient processing and accounting of tax returns and payments. It can be issued regardless of an individual’s immigration status, to both residents and nonresidents. An ITIN alone does not authorize working in the United States and doesn’t provide eligibility for Social Security benefits, but it is required if you don’t have an SSN.
Who can apply for an ITIN number?
- Non-US Resident who has a US Company.
- Non-US Resident who files US federal income tax return.
- Non-US Resident who claims treaty benefit.
- Non-US Resident who has rental property / house / condo.
- Non-US Resident who purchased rental property with mortgage.
- Non-US Resident who sold the house (if the seller did not obtain the ITIN before)
- Non-US Resident who assumed as US Resident aliens based on days present in the United States filing a US federal income tax return.
- Non-US Residents who have pensions, annuities, rental income, royalties, dividends. • Non-US Resident who is the spouse of US citizen / resident alien.
- Non-US Resident who is a dependent of a US citizen / resident alien.
- Non-US Resident who is a dependent / spouse of a nonresident alien holding a US Visa.
- Non-US Resident who is a student, professor, or researcher filing a U.S. federal tax return or claiming an exception
Below, you’ll find out exactly who needs an ITIN number, and how to apply for an ITIN number yourself.
Who needs it?
- Do not have an SSN and aren’t eligible to get one
- Need to file a federal tax return, or you need a federal tax identification number for other reasons.
- Are a nonresident or a U.S. resident working in the United States
- Want to open a US bank account
- Want to register a merchant/payment account like PayPal and Stripe etc.
- Want to rent your US property to third parties as you are a Non-US resident US property owner.
- I want to create a credit history.
Then you need to apply for an ITIN number. If you’re a dependent or spouse of a U.S. citizen or a nonresident visa holder, you’re also going to need an ITIN number for tax purposes. You will also need an ITIN if you’re claiming any tax benefits, returns, or exceptions, or if you’re applying for a driver’s license (for states which allow it).
What documents do I need for my ITIN application?
The first document you’ll need for your ITIN application is a high-quality scan of your passport (If you apply for ITIN with CAA). Take note that your passport must be valid for more than 6 months, and the scan must be done in color. Other documents in addition to passports vary depending on the type of ITIN Application.
As an example, we can use the type of ITIN Application with US company ownership. The first Document is a properly scanned of your passport. So, You’ll need a US Company EIN Document, in addition to US Company Formation Documents (like Articles of Organization, a Certificate of Formation or Incorporation, etc.) and US Company Ownership/Membership Documents (like a Statement of Authorized Person, Statement of Organizer, Initial Resources, etc. If your name is on the formation document, you won’t need this one).
If you need help getting all your documents together and preparing an ITIN Application, check out the IRS website for more relevant information.
How to obtain an ITIN number?
After you’ve collected all the necessary documents, you’ll need to fill out a Form W-7, which you can find on the official IRS website. Before filling out the form, make sure you have an identification card, passport, ID Card, visa, military card, or a driver’s license. Children under the age of 18 must present an official birth certificate.
If you’re applying for an ITIN application to receive a tax refund as an immigrant, you’ll need to include your Federal Income Tax Return as well. The ITIN application can be sent by mail, or you can hand it in by yourself. The application needs to be sent to the IRS Austin Service Center at P.O. Box 149342, Austin, TX 78714-9342. An ITIN application cannot be submitted online! If you apply for your ITIN with yourself, you have to send your original passport to the IRS along with your ITIN application documents.
If you do not want to send your original passport to the IRS you can contact with us and get help to apply for your
ITIN Number. For more information, please visit https://ein-itin.com/
Also read: What’s the Recovery Rebate Credit?