One of the major details that most vehicle owners overlook is the steering wheel. Many may not realize it, however, the steering wheel is arguably one of the dirtiest parts of the car which needs to be cleaned using a steering wheel cleaner now and then. After being constantly touched to operate the car, the dirt, grease, sweat, and oil from our hands can build up on the surface of the steering wheel.
A dirty steering wheel not only affects the appearance of the car but also can become a breeding ground for germs. One can understand that it is not a hygienic situation. Therefore, what one needs to do is keep the steering wheel cleaned all the time.
1. Plastic Wheels
Different types of steering wheels are adjoined to the car. Plastic steering wheels are often found installed in older vehicles. While these wheels may not be aesthetically pleasing, it does the job remarkably. Moreover, they add arguably the easiest type of surface to clean when it comes to detailing. Plastics are also less likely to absorb sweat but prone to becoming greasy.
As plastic is not a sensitive or delicate material, you will have many options when choosing a cleaning solution.
- One may use an all-purpose steering wheel cleaner to clean the plastic wheel. Dilute the solution with water and put it in a spray bottle. You can choose to adjust the ratio of the diluted elements. It is one of the most cost-effective ways of cleaning a steering wheel.
- Take the microfiber cloth on the wheel and place your hand on top of it. Now spray the diluted solution on the steering wheel, and run it continuously. Make your way towards cleaning it.
- Step three includes drying off the left residue with a different clean microfiber cloth.
2. Synthetic Resins
Many often confuse synthetic resins with plastic but the composition is quite different. Synthetic resin is also among the easier steering wheel material that you need to clean. As we have already mentioned that synthetic resins include the same properties.
So, our recommendation would be to follow the same steps above for these types of wheels.
- You need to use an all-purpose steering wheel cleaner and dilute it with water. Ensure that the ratio is 1:2. In this way, you will be able to clean off the excess residue easily. Moreover, you need a microfibre cloth as well.
- Spray the diluted ratio on the synthetic resin wheels and clean it off using the clean microfiber cloth. You have to mind the pressure here. Applying too much pressure is not advisable.
- Lastly, you must clean it up using a different, clean microfibre cloth.
3. Leather Steering Wheels
Leather steering wheels are often found in most contemporary luxury or high specced automobiles. They are a joy to hold and grip as it provides one the safety that is needed for making the car operate.
“The final stage of cleaning a steering wheel is to use a clean (new) toothbrush to really fluff up the Alcantara, bit by bit. One final tip – check the scent of the fabric cleaner to make sure you can live with it before you spray it inside your car.” @perfectionvalet pic.twitter.com/uE1zWeJsUe— Porsche Newsroom (@PorscheNewsroom) April 22, 2020
However, the only downside is that the leather wheel requires thorough and constant cleaning. The last thing you want to end up doing is damage to the integrity of the leather. Therefore, you cannot apply too much pressure while cleaning the wheels. Moreover, you cannot add too many solutions as well when cleaning as it may damage the condition of the leather.
For example, you need to say no to highly concentrated diluted APC and strong interior cleaners. What you need is a reliable steering wheel cleaner that will not remove the natural leather oils.
- One has to take extra care while cleaning the wheels made out of leather. One needs to choose the correct product for the job. One may choose a specific leather wheel cleaner.
- As a tool, you must go for the detailing brush to clean steering wheel. Use the solution on the wheels and make your way around the circumference. Make sure that you have not applied excessive pressure. You have to follow this step until your wheel appears to have a matte finishing.
4. Faux Leather
Faux leather, which we also know as synthetic leather is constructed of a fabric base of polyester. The fabric will have an imitated leather finish and texture. The texture will be made using wax, due to polyvinyl chloride, or polyurethane. Faux leather is a man-made product. So, to clean the steering wheel made out of it, you must find the right steering wheel cleaner.
However, one may translate it as one may not need to tend to this leather as one would do the realm leather.
- One has to apply the product directly to the cleaning brush. Next, they have to run it softly on the surface of the wheel until the product starts to foam up.
- Remove any excess product with a microfiber towel. If you notice that the surface has become rather sticky, you must spray a bit of water onto the surface to clean steering wheel.
- Use a clean towel to remove any remaining products. The surface of the steering wheel will then become smooth as well as non-sticky.
Manufacturers mostly use synthetic textile to make Alcantara steering wheels. Developed by a Japanese chemist in the 70s, and manufactured by the Italian company called Alcantara, it has been used in automobiles for ages. The manufacturers use this particular textile in race car interiors. However, nowadays one may notice this particular type of wheel on “on-road cars” as well. The steering wheel provides more grip than the leather wheel does, making it famous.
- To clean steering wheel made out of Alcantara, you will need a specific Alcantara steering wheel cleaner. As a tool, you will need a soft-medium detailing brush, or better, a suede brush. If you don’t have any of these, then you may opt for a clean toothbrush.
- Apply the cleaner to the steering wheel and agitate it for 20 to 30 seconds with the brush.
- Now, take a soft microfibre cloth and gently rub it on the surface of the wheel.
Keeping the steering wheel clean is most important as it affects the beauty of your car. To make sure that you do it right, you need the right steering wheel cleaner. Hopefully, the above-mentioned procedures will assist you in getting it cleaned.