Do you want your platonic relationship to last? Maintaining this particular kind of connection could appear challenging. But it’s not nearly as difficult as it seems.
For you and your friend to have a successful and meaningful relationship, we tried to compile a tonne of advice and recommendations that you may consider. Firstly, start with knowing what a platonic relationship is!
Table of Contents
- What is a Platonic Relationship?
- Know How to Make Platonic Relationship Work
- On a Wrap
What is a Platonic Relationship?
The term “Platonic” and the concept it refers to have its roots in the writings of the Greek philosopher Plato. A platonic relationship is when two people have a strong bond without engaging in sexual activity. They might even experience platonic love or feelings of affection for one another.
In Plato’s view, platonic love can help humans get closer to the divine ideal. However, the term “platonic relationship” or “platonic love” is more frequently used in current times to refer to close friendships. Both same-sex and opposite-sex friendships might fall under this category.
Know How to Make Platonic Relationship Work
1. Create Clear Ground Rules
Avoid the “friends first” dilemma.
The “potential” for a romantic relationship hangs there unspoken if you both decided that having a relationship was out of the question for several reasons. This includes marriage, having children, juggling work and school, following your religion, etc.
Making it apparent that you have a friendship that matters, in which you both look out for one another like siblings. Plus, spending time together, but that is all it is, is preferable.
2. Trust Yourselves
Keep your decision in mind regardless of all the “possibilities.” Nature or society’s influences don’t influence you, your companion, or your decisions. You are solely accountable for the decisions you make.
Also, it is your free will option to keep the platonic relationship. Trust that you two will uphold the platonic bond and believe in it for what it is.
3. Take Into Account All The Advantages of a Platonic Relationship
Keep in mind the benefits of platonic relationships over romantic ones.
Further, the platonic relationship has several advantages, such as:
- You can share a lot on a spiritual, emotional, and experiential level, which makes them resilient.
- You are not troubled by the intimacy of romantic love and sexual connections, with all the associated doubts, jealousies, complexities, etc.
- Further, you both are who you are, so you don’t need to put on a show for one another.
- If you and your partner are of different genders, you can learn about the other gender securely and uncompromisingly.
- Your thoughts on the issues you have concerning others mutually benefit you both.
4. Reassure Others Who Might be Impacted by your Platonic Relationship
It can be beneficial to set the terms of your platonic friendship upfront. As it’ll be beneficial for both of you in future. Do the same for your platonic friend’s spouse where appropriate.
Don’t visit their place close to midnight without your partner’s knowledge or consent. Or, engage in other potentially compromising activities.
Recognize that sometimes sustaining a platonic friendship might be difficult due to the partner’s worries about your relationship. Your partner needs to be aware of this
- You aren’t discussing or bitching about them,
- The things you say and do with your platonic companion will be discussed openly with your partner.
- You will not take any hidden action, and
- You won’t let your friendship with a platonic friend take the place of your marriage.
5. Be Realistic
Your relationship may work well because you have purposefully kept the tension down. When you and your partner engage in work, this never-realized yet possible reality can inspire amazing creativity, discovery, and problem-solving.
It is occasionally important to acknowledge that this contributes to the platonic friendship’s success, even though you should never act on it.
6. Be Open to The Possibilities of Tension
A platonic relationship might become tense. There is always a chance that one of you could start having feelings for your platonic friend. This usually doesn’t happen if you two aren’t sexually or romantically attracted to others of your gender.
Although it’s not unusual, maintaining a platonic relationship might be challenging. To keep things amicable between you two
- With your platonic buddy, try to avoid flirting.
- Avoid romantically complimenting them in any way.
- Avoiding physical contact that is usually only in love relationships.
On a Wrap
Here, we tried to provide a complete guide for you on how to be in a platonic relationship. Plus, make it work so that your partner or spouse doesn’t have any problem with it. So, you must give it a read for a healthy relationship with your loved one!