The Garage door springs and cables are a vital part of the garage door opening system. If a cable snaps it can leave your car stranded. But with the right parts, you can repair your garage door. Here you can learn how to replace the garage door.
Broken garage springs can become a problem and have to be repaired as soon as possible. Only when the garage is repaired the safety is ensured. So bring your garage road back into shape with the useful steps. Although the garage door is a part of the house we ignore this area but it also needs care. The garage door may not open in emergencies. You may not be able to get the car. Therefore fix the garage door. Continue reading to know about Garage Door Spring repair.
Know about the garage door springs
Before trying to replace the garage door springs, check what type of spring you have to replace. This spring can fall under two categories. One is extension spring and the other is Torsion Springs. The former is a long and skinny spring that goes parallel to the horizontal tracks. Also, these springs store energy by stretching when the door opens. The extension loops are open-looped, double-looped, and clipped end.
The garage door can have one to four extension springs. It will depend on the size, weight, and strength. Also, these kinds of springs are broad and are available in metal shafts above the opening. In this garage door, the aluminum drums are present at the end of the metal shaft. The springs are wound to the specific torsion setting.
1. Find a replacement for garage door spring online
It is easy to find a replacement spring to fix the garage door. To perform the Garage Door Spring repair you can surf the online shops. But you have to know what kind of spring you need. You can buy the torsion and extension springs from the hardware stores too. But if you are not clear on what to buy you can seek the help of a professional garage Repair Company. They will have the exact Garage door springs you need.
2. DIY with care and caution
If you are trying to do the Garage Door Spring repair on your own then you have to proceed with caution. The door repairs can be risky as some parts may fall off. But if you have basic knowledge of the garage doors you can repair the garage doors on your own. But the torsion replacements may require an experienced garage door repairman.
3. Steps to repair the garage door springs
The extension spring replacements are jobs that fit the DIYers. These are simple tasks.
Here are the following steps you can follow to repair a broken garage spring.
- Firstly you have to open the garage door and take off the spring tension. Then clamp it in one place. If it is in place you can disconnect the garage door opener. You can make use of a piece of tape to mark the placement of the pulley. So you can easily reinstall it in the same place.
- Then you have to disconnect the spring from the track bracket.
- Now a safety cable has to be threaded through the spring to keep it in place.
- Next, disconnect the safety cable and remove the old spring.
- Use the spring replacement you require for the job. In the extension springs, there will be some color that will help you to know the weight it can lift.
- Thread the safety cable in the new spring and attach it to the track bracket.
- Then reattach the safety cable and pulley and check if the wire from the pulley is away from the cable. Make use of the piece of tape and attach the pulley to that location.
- Try to remove the clamps and connect the door.
- Check the garage door to ensure if the replacement works or not. If the door does not close or if it closes quickly then inspect the pulley and the extension spring hardware. You can adjust and try again.
These are some of the steps you can follow for garage door spring repair. This will enable you to fix the garage door. Easily repair the garage door springs and keep your garage in good condition.
You may also like: Maintain Your Car’s Elegance by Getting The Best Dent Repair Services