Kareem Abdul-Jabbar is a popular basketball player from America. He was part of the twenty seasons of the National Basketball Association. He played in the teams of Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers. His profession as a center made him one of the most valuable players of football. He got voted as NBA Finals MVP. He was one of the fifty great players of NBA history. Many great coaches in history called Kareem Abdul Jabbar as one of the best Volleyball players of all time. You can find all the information about the former football player here.
The name given to Kareem at his birth is Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Jr. His place of birth is New York City and his birth date is April 16, 1947. The names of his parents are Cora Lillian and Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor Sr. The footballer lived in Dyckman Street projects located at Inwood neighborhood in Manhattan. He was a tall kid from his young age and in his teenage years, he was able to slam dunk a basketballer.
Career and achievements
– Early career with Milwaukee Bucks
Harlem Globetrotters promised $1 million to Kareem if he plays for them. However, he did not play and instead chose Milwaukee Bucks and became a part of the 1969 NBA draft. The player also got selected for American Basketball Association 1969. He did not prefer the bidding wars between many teams because he thought that it lessened the value of the players.
For the team Milwaukee Bucks, he acquired a lot of wins. He became one of the most valuable players in the NBA because he received a lot of points in each game. In just five years he won three MVP awards.
– Los Angeles Lakers
In the year 1975, the team Lakers got Kareem. From the start, he became a dominant player for the team. The average points per game are 27.7. In the season 1976–77 he was part of many good games. He assisted the Lakers to get good scores. He bet many rival teams such as Golden State Warriors and Portland Trail Blazers. The Lakers won five NBA championship games and they became one of the top teams of the season. At the age of forty-two Kareem retired from the sport ending his glorious football career.
Abdul-Jabbar started a relationship with Habiba Abdul-Jabbar during a Lakers game. They then married and have three children. The names of the daughters are Habiba and Sultana and the name of the younger son is Kareem Jr. Then he got separated from Habiba and started a relationship with Cheryl Pistono. The names of their two sons are Amir and Adam.
- Kareem received the Double Helix Medal for his part in the cancer research.
- He got an honorary degree from the New York Institute of Technology.
- In 2016 he received the Presidential Medal of Freedom from former President Barack Obama.
– Health issues
Kareem had migraines from time to time so he sought refuge in Cannabis. In the year 2009, he shared that he suffering from cancer. The disease got treated through oral medication. He went to the specialist every month and did a check of his blood frequently. At a press conference, he said that his disease is not allowing him to lead a normal life. The player is also the spokesman for Novartis which is a company that offers cancer medications.
In 2011 he shared the happy news that he is cancer-free. Then he told me that he is not wholly cancer free and it is hard to be totally free of the disease. But he is keeping it in check.
Kareem Abdul Jabbar net worth
The net worth estimate of Kareem Abdul Jabbar is $20 million. Most of the money he got from his career in football. He played as a footballer in two NBA teams that offered him a lot of cash. Then he also made appearances in movies and TV shows. He came as himself in Airplane! and in a Bruce Lee film Game of Death. Some of the TV shows he appeared as a cameo are The Colbert Report, Scrubs, and The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air.
Few interesting facts about Kareem Abdul Jabbar
- Kareem’s mother worked as a price checker at a departmental store.
- His father’s occupation was a police officer and he was also a jazz musician.
- Kareem got the nickname “The tower from Power” for his winnings in football.
- He was also prejudiced because of his colour and he related these in the book Coach Wooden and Me.
- Kareem was born as Kareem Abdul-Jabbar however changed his name to Kareem Abdul Jabbar. He became an Islamic follower and is now using the name publicly. The meaning of his name is the servant of the Almighty.
- He broke his one hand in one of the games of 1974.
- The player also suffered from corneal erosion so he wore his trademark goggles while playing the games.
Kareem Abdul Jabbar is an excellent football player. He has contributed a lot of successes to the teams he played. He is an inspiration for many aspiring footballers today.