Black powder plays an important role in firearms. The cost of buying industrial black powder is not cheap. So, what if I tell you that you can make your black powder? Continue to read through this article to learn how to make black powder.
Meaning of Black powder
It is also known as Gun powder. The powder was invented many years ago. Chinese are believed to be the brains behind the invention of black powder. It was earlier called a chemical explosive.
Gun powder is a mixture of chemicals. It contains a mixture of sulfur, carbon, and potassium nitrate. The Sulphur and carbon present in the powder act as fuels. This is the reason why they are mainly used as blasting agents.
Further, the powder is called a low explosive because of its relatively low decomposition rate. So, how to make black powder, and what are the steps involved in it?
A step-by-step guide for making black powder
This part of the article will take you through a step-by-step guide to preparing the black powder. There are several recipes available to prepare it. These recipes differ mainly in terms of the mix and proportion of the ingredients used.
But in all these recipes, making black powder is simple and easy. Please check out the next part of the article to learn more about the method of preparing it.
A simple and easy way to make black powder is as follows:
- The first step to making the black powder is choosing and reading the recipe. There are plenty of recipes available in the market. Choose one recipe that is easy to understand and make. Then, note all the ingredients and vessels you need to make it. If you don’t have any, start the process by purchasing them.
- Next, the thing you need to make is charcoal. Choose the right wood to make charcoal, like pine and spruce. Burn the wood to make charcoal by placing it in a large container with a lid and outdoors.
- Next, make powders of the ingredients that are potassium, sulfur, and charcoal separately. A motor and pestle are the best way to powder the ingredients.
- Next chill 600 ml of denatured alcohol for every 100 grams of sulfur or charcoal.
- Measure the ingredients that are used to make the charcoal separately. Use a proper and well-functioning weight scale. Then, add the ingredients to make the mixture as per the weight. Usually, it is best to take 75 parts of potassium, 15 parts of charcoal, and 10 parts of sulfur.
- Next, take ¼ cup water for every 100 grams of potassium nitrate. Add the same to a pot and bring it to a boil. Now add charcoal and sulfur to the same pot. At this stage, add your chilled alcohol to it outside. Mix them properly.
- Finally, chill the mixture before running it through a muslin cloth. Place the mixture on a piece of paper under the sun. Then, again sieve it through a mesh screen several times until the mixture is completely broken.
- Finally, your black powder is ready, and it can be used. Always store it in a cool and dry place and a plastic container.
Different uses of black powder
As mentioned earlier in the article, Gun powder was invented many years ago. There are various uses for black powder.
Here is a list of uses for the black powder
- The first use of black powder is in firearms. It is a low-explosive substance, and it is used as the propellant in firearms. The fun powder burns very fast and releases a large amount of gas. This gas produces a pressure wave inside the gun and acts as a proper to shoot a bullet.
- In addition to firearms, the main use of Gun powder is in cannons. It is mainly used in battlefield weapons. Apart from this, the powder is also used for special effects.
- Further, you can see the use of black powder in mines. They are used in mining for blasting large rocks and stones.
- Finally, the last and the most important use of black powder is in medicine. The powder is mainly used to pack wounds especially open wounds on the battlefield.
However, the development of black powder weapons differs in China and western countries. Depending on the place in which it is used, the development and use of the powder are different.
Black powder is also called Gun powder. It is widely used in arms and ammunition. Apart from arms, they are used in medicine and quarry. This article shares the meaning, use, and how to make it at home.