Link mass is a very important indicator for Google to promote sites and put them higher in search results. It directly affects the position of the website, so it can help you reach a wider audience. There is one thing, if grown naturally, you will have to wait a very long time to have enough quality links, even if you are a popular project. The link building method is involved to help speed up the process. We recommend you not to forget about the consequences of over usage of this method, as Google tirelessly fights artificial links and imposes fines on such sites. To safeguard against such undesirable consequences, Google released the disavow links tool in 2012.
Table of Contents
What is Disavow Links Tool by Google?
Google Disavow Links Tool is a real boon not only for experienced webmasters but for ordinary users as well. This tool allows you to disavow chosen external links, which lead to your site. By using this method of link disavowing, you are allowed to manually reject unwanted links in Google’s search engine.
External link rejection can help those who have already been fined by Google for using a great number of artificial links. It allows you to remove links from those sites where they are placed without your permission or are no longer of interest to you. Find more info here.
When Should Link Rejection Be Used?
When there is a sharp drop in traffic and rankings for your site. There is a possibility that you have fallen into a shadowban from Google.
- When your site is subject to manual measures in the form of fines. Manual penalties usually apply to sites that blatantly manipulate the ranking algorithms. In this case, you need to urgently conduct an audit of the link mass. Contact the webmaster or site owner to remove half of the links. If this is not possible, then only the Disavow Links Tool (DLT) can help you.
- When you know that your SEO agency has created spam links to your site. In this case, for Google not to consider these links, it is better to use this tool.
- When your site has been flooded with negative or poor quality backlinks. Low quality or negative backlinks are generated chaotically. Every day, new resources of no value to users mention your site by linking to it. Such a reference can be detrimental to your site.
When Should You Not Use This Tool?
- When there isn’t a drastic loss of audience and a big drop in ratings.
- When you’re not sure if penalties have been imposed.
- For testing. Meaning, don’t use it just to see how it works.