Mother’s Day is a special day for many people. It is a day to honour mothers all around the world. Also, motherhood, maternal bonds and other precious things related to mothers are honoured on that day. Many countries celebrate Mother’s Day on a particular date in March and May. Mothers day began in the US in the twentieth century. Anna Jarvis is the American woman who started the tradition of Mother’s Day so she is its founder. But historically there are records of Mothers Day celebrations conducted during the festivals.
For instance, the Greeks honoured their Goddesses such as Cybele and Rhea. Also, they celebrated it on March during the Roman festival of Hilaria. Then many people honoured their mothers during the Christian Laetare Sunday celebration. So this shows that Mother’s Day is not a modern thing but is part of many traditions.
Today many people are criticising Modern Mothers Day because of making it commercial. This is because lots of businesses are using the day to sell their products to customers. But still many deem the day as important and use this auspicious day to appreciate mothers and motherhood. Some people give their mother gifts on this day and also seek their blessings. Others use the day to talk about the difficulties experienced by mothers all over the world. Therefore it is a happy occasion for children and their mothers.
Table of Contents
Mother’s day in the US
In the United States, Mothers day gets celebrated on the second Sunday in May. It is one of the popular holidays in the US as many people come out to buy gifts such as flowers and greeting cards. Some telephone their mother’s to wish them on that day. Also, many church-goers in the US go to church, particularly on this day. The worshippers use carnations to honour their mothers. Moreover, it is one of the most commercialised holidays in the country. Many florist industries and gift companies enjoy lots of sales on this day.
Facts about Mother’s Day
- More than forty plus countries all over the world celebrate Mother’s Day annually.
- Anna Jarvis is the founder of Mothers Day. Her mother wanted a special day for mothers. That is why after her death Jarvis started a movement to make her dream come true.
- Some of the similar celebrations that complement Mothers Day are Father’s Day, Children’s Day, Grandparent’s Day and Siblings Day.
- Mother’s Day does not fall on the same date every year. As most people celebrate it on Second Sunday.
- People make lots of call on Mother’s Day compared with the other days. They call their mother and wish them on that day.
- After Christmas and Hanukah, Mothers Day is the third-highest holidays were the flowers and plants business flourish.
- The earliest Mother’s Day celebrations traced to ancient Greece where the devotees honoured the Goddess of Fertility and Motherhood called Rhea.
- On Mother’s Day, the restaurants in the US and other countries become fully booked and busy.
- The term Mom derived from a baby’s first word that sounds like Ma.
- Woodrow Wilson signed and legitimized Mother’s Day. Then only it became a National Holiday in the US.
Other Interesting facts
- Anna Jarvis did not like the commercialization of Mothers Day. She did not like it when businesses started to sell flowers and chocolates on that day. Also, she tried to put an end to this practice.
- One of the most popular gifts on Mothers Day is greeting cards.
- The carnations are important on Mothers Day because if a person has colourful flowers then it means his or her mother is alive. However, if a person holds a white flower then his or her mother is no more.
- Some of the countries that deem Mothers Day as a holiday are the US, UK, Samoa, Georgia, Australia, Canada, Thailand and more.
- Many Americans plan to buy jewellery for their mother on Mothers Day. Others prefer to give them a card or a flower.
These are the interesting details about Mothers Day. This is a special holiday for children who want to honour their mothers.
Mother’s Day quotes
They say that God can’t be everywhere so he created mothers. Well, that’s right. A mother is one of the most important human beings in everyone’s life. She can’t be compared with anyone as she is the best. Mother is the one who knows and better understands what her child needs and what is their problem. She is the one who can do anything and everything for her child to make them happy. Mother is not only your mother but can also be your best friend, who cares for you and love you so much. She can’t see you in any pain.
If we have a mother, we should be thankful to God for this great present. It is not that they have to do everything for us, instead, we should thank her for always standing there by your side.
But we cannot understand what her responsibilities are what efforts it takes to be a mother. We will get to understand better this thing only when we will become parents. Better late than right? So, it’s a better time to say I love You and Thanks to your mothers for all the things she did for you to date. I know thanking is not enough, but it will make her at least smile. See here the list of some of the best quotes for mothers that will surely melt away your heart.
There are lots of Mother’s Day quotes available. With the help of these quotes, you will learn about Motherhood. Also, these quotes are from intelligent minds. So have a look at these Mothers Day quotes and send them to your dear mother. Your mother knows that you love them but you can send them these quotes to show them your love.
Here are Inspirational Quotes for Mother’s Day
“When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest love you will ever know.”Charley Benetto
God could not be everywhere and therefore he made mothers.Jewish Proverb
A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie.Tenneva Jordan
“Life began with waking up and loving my mother’s face.”George Eliot
“The biggest adjustment is I just didn’t know there was that much room in a house for that much joy. I have to say it—I didn’t know I could feel like this but I am tired, I am so happy!”Hoda Kotb
“Mother is the heartbeat in the home; and without her, there seems to be no heartthrob.”Leroy Brownlow
As mothers and daughters, we are connected with one another. My mother is the bones of my spine, keeping me straight and true. She is my blood, making sure it runs rich and strong. She is the beating of my heart. I cannot now imagine a life without her.Kristin Hannah
“Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children.”William Makepeace Thackeray
“That strong mother doesn’t tell her cub, ‘Son, stay weak so the wolves can get you.’ She says, ‘Toughen up, this is reality we are living in.”Lauryn Hill
“When you look into your mother’s eyes, you know that is the purest love you can find on this earth.”Mitch Albom
“Over the years, I learned so much from mom. She taught me about the importance of home and history and family and tradition.“Martha Stewart
“My Mother: She is beautiful, softened at the edges and tempered with a spine of steel. I want to grow old and be like her. ”Jodi Picoult
My mom is a hard worker. She puts her head down and she gets it done. And she finds a way to have fun. She always says, “Happiness is your own responsibility.”Jennifer Garner
“A mother is she who can take the place of all others but whose place no one else can take.”Cardinal Meymillod
“Motherhood is the biggest gamble in the world. It is the glorious life force. It’s huge and scary – it’s an act of infinite optimism.”Gilda Radner
“Mother’s love is bliss, is peace, it need not be acquired, it need not be deserved. If it is there, it is like a blessing; if it is not there, it is as if all the beauty had gone out of life.“Erich Fromm