Sri Tirupati Balaji Venkateswara Temple is a well-known Hindu temple located in the hill town of Tirumala in Andhra Pradesh, India. Hindus all over the world visit this place to worship Venkateswara which is a form of the God Vishnu. Also, they believe that he appeared here to save the world from trials because of Kali Yuga. That is why the place is called Kaliyuga Vaikuntha. Moreover, the Lord is given the name Kaliyuga Prathyaksha Daivam. The people who run the place are body Tirumala Tirupati Devasthanams which is under the Andra Pradesh Government.
The Tirumala Hills make the part of the Seshachalam Hills range. Then the Hills have seven peaks which mean the seven heads of Adisesha. The Temple is in the seventh peak called Venkatadri. Also near to the temple is the holy water tank Sri Swami Pushkarini. Therefore, the temple is also well known as the “Temple of Seven Hills”. The constructors of the temple followed Dravidian architecture in the period of 300 AD. You can find all the details about the Sri Tirupati Balaji Venkateswara temple here.
Table of Contents
History of Tirupati Balaji Lord
Lord Vishnu is one of the major Gods of the Hindus. According to Hindu scriptures, the earthly abode of the Lord is the Tirupati Balaji temple. Also, King Venkateswara is one of the incarnations of Lord Vishnu. He is the only God in the Hindu scriptures who came into the world to save mankind from the trails of Kaliyuga.
There is a belief that the Lord will reside in the temple until the end of Kaliyuga. Then at the end of Kaliyuga, the other incarnation of Vishnu known as Kalki will destroy all the things on the earth. No humanity will be left after this. Then the formation of a new Yuga will take place. That is why the Tirupati Balaji temple is well known as Vaikuntha of Kaliyuga also referred to as Kaliyuga Pratyaksh Daivam.
When Lord Vishnu came to the earch
According to the sources that tell the history of Tirupati Balaji Lord Vishnu came to the world to bless the worshippers during the age of Kali. Then one-day Sage Brighu wanted to see whom among the Holy Trinity is the greatest. So he talked with Lord Brahma and Lord Shiva but he did not get any satisfaction. After that, he went to Vaikuntha the abode of Lord Vishnu and kicked him on his chest. At this time Goddess Lakshmi was residing in the chest of God Vishnu so she felt insulted. Therefore, she came down to earth after that.
Lord Vishnu was very sad to find his consort Mahalakshmi gone. Therefore, he followed her down to the earth and saw that she has born as a child to a King’s family as Padmavati. So Lord Vishnu entered an anthill and began to meditate. At that time Lord Shiva and Brahma came to him as a Cow and fed him. Then according to a divine plan the incarnation of Lord Vishnu, Venkateswara met Padmavati and they fell in love. In the end, the Gods approach the King for his daughter’s hand in marriage to Venkateswara.
Why Tirupati Balaji is so powerful?
Every single day millions of people all over the world visit Tripathi to worship Tirupati Balaji. They chant “Govinda Govinda…Venkata Ramana Govinda”. The aura of God and his divinity attract many people all over the world.
The devotees wait in a long line to get a glimpse of the pious idol in the garbha griha. Then they get the Darshan of the Lord. After they feel blessed as this is one of the great opportunities of their life. They believe that if they get the Dharshan the Lord will grant them their wishes.
As he is the Lord who came to the earth to relieve the humans of the trails of Kali Yuga his devotees have faith that he will help them in their distress. Moreover, there are two imprints on the chest of the Lord that shows the places of Lakshmi and Padmavathi. Also, the Lord transforms into a stone and that is why the idol is powerful.
Tirupati Balaji is one of the richest Gods. The Devotees of the Lord often donate money and jewels for him. Also, they offer their hair to the Lord. According to the legend the Lord borrowed money from Kubera. Therefore, the devotees offer the Lord money for him to pay back the loan. The devotees feel blessed when they offer their wealth to the Lord. They feel that materialistic riches are not important for them.
Captivating Facts About Tirupati Balaji Temple
- Pallava Queen Samavai in 966 B.C made the endowment for the temple. She decided to donate lots of jewels and two parcels of land for the temple. Also, she ordered the workers to collect revenues for the festivals to happen in the temple.
- Some of the kingdoms that were the devotees of Venkateswara are the Pallava dynasty in the nineteenth century, the Chola dynasty in the tenth century and Vijayanagara pradhans in the fourteen and fifteenth centuries.
- The temple received lots of its wealth and size from the Vijayanagara Empire as they donated diamonds and gold. Then in 1517 Vijayanagara Emperor Krishnadevaraya visited the temple and donated gold and diamonds for the temple. Like him, many Kings became the major devotees of the temple and donated their wealth.
- In modern history, during British rule, the East India Company offered special status to the temple. They did not interfere in the activities of the temple. Also, the East India Company managed the temple. Then in 1966, the temple came under the direct control of the Andhra Pradesh department.
- The idol of Tripathi Balaji has survived chemical reactions. The camphor used in the temple has not affected the idol.
Some more Interesting Facts
- The idol of the Tripathi Balaji has a temperature of 110 degrees Fahrenheit but the surroundings of the temple are cool. As per the Hindu belief, the idol is alive. Also, droplets of sweat appear in the idol.
- The hair worn by the Lord is real. It is silky and smooth. That is why the devotees offer their hair to him according to the tradition started in the ancient days.
- According to the records it is one of the richest temples in the world.
- Nobody knows when the lamp in the temple got lit. Many believe that it has remained the same for more than thousands of years.
- The Prasad offered in the temple is a registered Geographical Indicator. This is because many black markets sold the sweets to make profits.
Sri Tirupati temple is one of the most divine places in the world. That is why many people visit it to get blessed.