Hey, Mama! Have you ever thought about how we as moms can connect, simply because being a mom is such a life-changing experience? We share so many things in common when we become moms. The experience offers many similar joys and challenges, but the way we experience those things can actually feel much different based on our personality type.
Your personality type has a lot to do with your parenting style. There are so many different intricacies when it comes to a person’s personality, but finding out which one of the 4 main personality types you fit into, and how that affects your parenting style, can be helpful and enlightening.
Rey to Z has compiled this guide to find out what kind of mama you are! Not only are Rey to Z’s embroidered baseball caps so much fun for your little family, but Rey to Z is also a trusted source for insight into everything that has to do with being the best mama you can be.
Find your personality style below
What Type of Mama are You?
The first step to determining how your parenting style is affected by your personality type is to determine what personality type best describes you. The four main personality types are called the DISC personality types. They are Dominance, Influence, Steadiness, and Conscientiousness. Which one best aligns with you?
Mamas with the Dominant Personality Type are definitely leaders.
Here are some of your personality traits:
- Assertive: Dominant mamas tend to be assertive and confident, and they are not afraid to take charge and make decisions.
- Decisive: Dominant mamas are often decisive and quick to make decisions, and they tend to have a clear idea of what they want to achieve.
- Results-oriented: Dominant mamas are often focused on achieving results and getting things done, and they tend to be highly competitive.
- Independent: Dominant mamas often prefer to work independently and may be less interested in collaborating with others.
- Direct: Dominant mamas tend to be direct and to the point in their communication.
- Confident: Dominant mamas are often highly confident in their abilities and may be perceived as being self-assured.
- Risk-takers: Dominant mamas may be more comfortable taking risks and making bold moves, as they tend to be highly confident in their ability to achieve their goals.
- Problem-solver: Dominant mamas tend to be good problem-solvers and may be skilled at identifying and addressing obstacles to achieving their goals.
The benefits of being a mama with this personality type are that you likely run an efficient household. Kiddos know what to expect and can take comfort in routines and order. You likely remember important things like annual dental visits and field trip money.
The Dominant mama is also a fantastic role model. You show your littles that the world is not a scary place, but rather, a journey to be taken full steam ahead. You are a great leader and you most likely encourage your littles to take on challenges.
Mamas with dominant personality types can struggle with the pivoting and flexibility that sometimes comes with parenthood. Days that don’t go as planned may challenge you. You may also have high expectations with little room for error. During playtime, you may experience more frustration with messes and “coloring outside the lines,” so to speak. Your craving for order can be a challenge, particularly if you have a free-spirited kiddo.
1. Practice active listening
Dominant mamas tend to be very task-oriented and focused on achieving results. Make sure you take time to allow yourself and the kids to have meaningful conversations and just let them go wherever they go, with no time limit. Ask them open-ended questions like: “If you were a butterfly, where would you fly right this minute?” Hearing their fun responses might be the very thing you need to perk up your day and give you the deep breath you need.
2. Learn to delegate
As a dominant personality, it can be tempting to try to do everything yourself. However, this can lead to burnout and may not be the most effective approach. Learning to delegate tasks and responsibilities to your littles and other family members can help you balance your workload and teach them important life skills.
3. Be mindful of your communication style
Dominant mamas can sometimes come across as forceful or aggressive in their communication style. Try to take into account your kiddo’s communication style and personality type, and take the time to communicate with them in a way that makes them feel honored, heard, and appreciated.
Mamas with Influencer Personality Types tend to be outgoing, social, and charismatic. They enjoy being around people and are often good at persuading others.
Here are some of your personality traits:
- Outgoing: Influencer mamas tend to be outgoing and social, and they enjoy meeting new people and making connections.
- Enthusiastic: Influencer mamas are often enthusiastic and energetic, and they tend to have a positive outlook on life.
- Charismatic: Influencer mamas often possess a natural charisma and charm, which can make them very persuasive and influential.
- Creative: Influencer mamas tend to be creative and imaginative, and they often have a talent for coming up with new ideas and solutions to problems.
- Talkative: Influencer mamas enjoy talking and communicating with others, and they often have a talent for storytelling and entertaining.
- Optimistic: Influencer mamas tend to have a positive outlook on life, and they often inspire others with their optimism and enthusiasm.
- Persuasive: Influencer mamas are often skilled at persuading others to see things from their point of view, and they can be very effective at selling ideas and products.
- Collaborative: Influencer mamas tend to enjoy working with others and can be very effective in team environments.
The benefits of being an Influencer mama include the ability to rally the troops. You are enthusiastic and energetic, and that helps motivate your kiddos. Your household is likely a haven for creativity. You encourage active play and you likely have a lot of friends yourself, which offers the opportunity for your littles to have a thriving social circle as well.
The Influencer mama is a positive light in her kiddo’s lives and she is likely good at encouraging and inspiring her babies toward their dreams. They will likely come to you to share details about their hopes and aspirations as they get older.
Influencer mamas can tend to overshadow their littles a bit. Their larger-than-life, bright, and shiny personalities can be a bit overpowering, especially for kids who are more introverted or have less gregarious personality types. You can also tend to forget to allow for downtime and keep an overfilled calendar, leading to a few of those ‘complete meltdown’ moments for both yourself and the littles.
- Use your flair and zeal for life to uplift your kids. Your infectious personality can help them to be more comfortable in their own skin.
- Be careful not to overshadow your quieter or more introverted kiddos. Sometimes more introverted kids can tend to step back a bit when their mom is larger than life. Bring them in the spotlight with you – or stand back and let them shine.
- Remember to allow for quiet play and family time and not overbook your calendar. You love to be busy but don’t forget to schedule some quiet family time to recharge and connect.
Steadiness Mamas with the Steady Personality Type tend to be dependable, patient, and easy-going. They enjoy stability and harmony in their personal and professional lives.
Here are some of your personality traits:
- Reliable: Steady mamas are known for their dependability and consistency. They are often the ones you can count on to get things done.
- Patient: Steady mamas tend to be patient and calm, even in stressful situations.
- Consistent: Steady mamas prefer a steady and predictable pace of work and life. They are not fond of sudden changes or surprises.
- Cooperative: Steady mamas are often team players and enjoy working collaboratively with others.
- Diplomatic: Steady mamas are skilled at resolving conflicts and maintaining peaceful relationships with others.
- Empathetic: Steady mamas tend to be empathetic and understanding of others’ feelings and perspectives.
- Modest: Steady mamas often prefer to work behind the scenes and may not seek the spotlight or recognition.
- Loyal: Steady mamas tend to be very loyal to their friends, family, and the organizations they belong to.
Steady mamas tend to be reliable, patient, and consistent team players who prefer a steady and predictable pace of work and life. They are diplomatic and empathetic, and they value peaceful relationships with others. They are often modest and loyal to their friends and organizations.
These mamas often have very peaceful homes, their children feel heard and seen due to their diplomatic and team-oriented nature, and they provide the steadiness that littles need to feel safe in the world. Steady moms typically have a good balance between work and play. Steady mamas are also quite empathetic, and though this can be overwhelming for mamas, it can help kids by understanding and putting a name to their emotions.
Steady mamas have a great bit of empathy. Though this is a benefit for kids in a lot of ways, it leaves mamas drained, as it is exhausting being so in tune with others’ feelings. It can also lead to mamas being a bit of a pushover, as they don’t want their kiddos to feel let down, sad, or uncomfortable. Because of their more emotional nature, Steady mamas can sometimes have a hard time making final decisions. They can be a lot more likely to allow the littles to make the call, and we all know, our kids don’t always choose wisely.
1. Try to set emotional boundaries and not allow the kids to run your mood for the day. They can have a challenging day without that meaning you must do the same.
2. Make time for self-care. You are a self-sacrificing mama and you need to remember that if you have an empty tank, you can’t be your best self. Don’t feel guilty for taking a hot bath, going to the gym, or having lunch with a friend.
3. You aren’t a huge fan of change, and we all know raising kids means constant change. Try to journal about your feelings as changes come, or better yet, have real conversations with the kids about how to handle the fear and resistance that comes with change, and make a list of coping ideas.
Mamas with a Conscientious Personality Type tend to be detail-oriented, organized, and analytical. They enjoy structure and order and are often focused on achieving their goals.
Here are some of your personality traits:
Conscientious mamas are known for their attention to detail. They are meticulous and thorough in their work, paying close attention to even the smallest of details.
Mamas with a Conscientious personality type have high standards for themselves and others. They strive for excellence and are committed to producing high-quality work.
Conscientious mamas are often analytical and logical thinkers. They enjoy solving problems and are skilled at breaking down complex issues into manageable parts.
Conscientious mamas prefer to follow a structured and organized approach to work. They thrive when they have clear processes and procedures to follow.
Mamas with a Conscientious personality type are reliable and responsible. They take their commitments seriously and are known for following through on their promises.
Conscientious mamas tend to be more reserved and introverted. They prefer to work independently and may be uncomfortable in social situations.
Conscientious mamas have high expectations for themselves and others. While this can lead to high-quality work, it can also lead to a tendency towards perfectionism and self-criticism.
8. Risk Avoiders:
Conscientious mamas are often cautious and risk-averse. They prefer to take a measured approach and may be uncomfortable with uncertainty or change.
Mamas with a Conscientious personality type are known for their attention to detail, quality focus, analytical thinking, systematic approach, dependability, and reserved nature. These mamas tend to be the quiet and calm in the storm for their kiddos.
You will likely enjoy a lot of family and one on one time, as you are more of an introverted mama. Over-packed calendars are not a struggle for you, and you tend to show up for your littles as a rock of predictability and composure.
As a Conscientious mama, you may avoid social situations like birthday parties and playdates. This can create a challenge for your kiddos, as they may feel less compelled to join in on things themselves. Your aversion to risk can also tend to create a very careful kiddo, one who may be more afraid to make mistakes.
1. Try to push yourself to get a little outside of your comfort zone when it comes to socializing. It may even be a great teaching moment for your littles if you talk to them about the coping skills you use to overcome anxiety or shyness. Even if you aren’t necessarily shy, you are likely introverted, and you can chat with them about the importance of pushing our comfort zones to be part of a team.
2. You are a careful and calculated mama and that can be a real asset for your family, however, don’t let your aversion to risk spill too much onto the littles. Let them make mistakes and try new things, even if you have to hold your breath while they do it, try not to show it.
3. Use your knack for creating clear procedures and routines to teach your kiddos responsibility, accountability, and order. Three things that will serve them well as adults. (But don’t forget to go a little wild and break the rules now and then…a little ice cream before dinner never killed anyone – but it sure created memories for a lifetime.)
There is no better or worse personality for a mama to have. Each personality type carries its own strengths and challenges and even causes us mamas to experience motherhood a little bit differently. Rey to Z hopes this guide helps you understand yourself and your relationship with your cuties a little better.
Here’s a challenge…try to find some mama friends with different personality types. Your kids will all benefit from a circle of mamas with different strengths.
Fun Idea…once you round up the mama tribe, grab some Rey to Z hats! Rey to Z has the cutest customizable baseball hats for women. Take a pic and send it their way – you never know if your mama tribe will end up on Rey to Z’s social media!
Check out their Mama Hats and Kids Hats.
Rey to Z has a message for you:
We see you and we know you are doing your best. That’s why we do our best to provide every style you can imagine and make it customizable for you and your unique family.
We also always offer 15% off your first order when you sign up for texts and free shipping on orders $60 or more. Also, if you love us as much as we love you, we offer a Refer a Friend program, you and your bestie both get $5 off your order.
Also read: Quick Ways to Develop Personality Development of Your Kids